10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 2:22 AM by hanstrager

making a status portal..?

hanstrager

Title

making a status portal..?

I'm having a data base making technical description for cloth. I have different tables for fabric, buttons, zips etc. which is being added to my technical description via portals.

Some times you have to change a length of a zip or color of a fabric, but don't know how many technical-description records this is going to affect. Is it possible to make portals i can place in my different material tables, that that list the different technical description records that the particular article has been added to..?fx in fabric table, the portal on the record for the black fabric will show me what garments the black fabric has been added to..?

Screen_Shot_2014-04-15_at_00.03.40.png

• 1. Re: making a status portal..?
          philmodjunk

A key question is whether these details are specific to a single record in technical sheet 2 or should be specified for the Basic Garment.

what you show requires you to specify different zips for each records in technical sheet 2. That may or may not be the option that works best for you.

Assuming that it is, A layout based on Zips can include a portal to  Technical sheet 2.

• 2. Re: making a status portal..?
            hanstrager

It's different zips to different technical sheet's. I'm just a bit confused to how to set up this portal to send back the name of the technical sheet..?

• 3. Re: making a status portal..?
              philmodjunk

If layout set up specifies Zips in Show Records From, you an add a portal to technical sheet 2 and any field from technical sheet 2--such as the name field can be added to the row of that portal.

• 4. Re: making a status portal..?
                hanstrager

but I need to place the portal on the zip layout. An then the portal has to show me the only in what technical sheets that specific record/zip is used in. I don't seem to be able to show records for the zip table if i'm putting it on the zip layout.

• 5. Re: making a status portal..?
                  philmodjunk

but I need to place the portal on the zip layout.

That's exactly what I am telling you to do.

An then the portal has to show me the only in what technical sheets that specific record/zip is used in.

And that's exactly what you should see in that portal.

I don't seem to be able to show records [from technical sheet 2] for the zip table if i'm putting it [a portal to technical sheet 2] on the zip layout.

Then something is wrong with the records and/or match field values in line items zip, Zips or technical sheet 2.

• 6. Re: making a status portal..?
                    hanstrager

got it. Had not put portla to show records from 'technical sheet 2'... Now I just have one question. I have to fx zip I have 2 fields. For quantity and one for position which is in my 'Zip Line Items' table,  when I put these field onto my portal, they doesn't seam to carry over..? also If I use the same zip twice in one garment, then the zip only shows up 1 time in the portal, I would have expected it to show up twice..?

• 7. Re: making a status portal..?
                      philmodjunk

If you need to show data from zip line items, change the portal to refer to zip line items. You'll still be able to include fields from technical sheet 2, but if there are multiple records in zip line items for a given technical sheet 2 record, they'll be repeated for each item linked to that record.

• 8. Re: making a status portal..?
                        hanstrager

Ok This, works... but now i realised something. I don't know if i should address this here or in another post..?

Basically when I delete a technical sheet the stuff that's on the techsheet like the zips doesn't delete in zip lines and are still sitting in my portal on my zip layout, just with out a name for the technical field..? is there a way so when I delete my techsheet the also the lines for my materials deletes..?

• 9. Re: making a status portal..?
                          philmodjunk

Open up Manage | database | relationships. Find the relationship line linking technical sheets 2 to the zip lines join table. Double click this line and select the "delete" option for the zip lines records, but DO NOT select this option for technical sheets 2.

Note: This is a very handy feature for automatically deleting child records when a parent record is deleted, but if set up incorrectly, it can result in cascading deletes that delete large numbers of records from multiple tables in your database, so use it with caution.

• 10. Re: making a status portal..?
                            hanstrager

perfect