AnsweredAssumed Answered

making fields respond to values in other records

Question asked by ijontichy on Jan 7, 2009
Latest reply on Jan 7, 2009 by Jens Teich

Title

making fields respond to values in other records

I'm hoping there is a simple solution to this, but it evades me.

I work on film and video projects and I'd like a way to easily generate what is known as an "EDL" or edit decision list.

Here is the information that a typical EDL includes in the following order:

Event_#
Source Tape
Tracks edited
source tc start (tc stands for timecode--the unique address of a frame)
source tc finish
record tc start
record tc finish

or, as an example:

001 VTR001 VA1A2 05:23:14:06 05:23:16:09   01:00:00:00 01:00:02:03
002 VTR003 VA1A2 07:04:10:00 07:04:14:00   01:00:02:03 01:00:06:03

So in essence, this list places two video clips of approximately 2 seconds each onto a timeline, one after the other.

My problem lies in the record TC start and finish, as I need them to calculate and CHANGE based on shot sort order.

How can I define a field for the record TC start such that it takes the Record tc finish value from the previous record in a sort?   I can then calculate the out value based on the length of the source tc values and continue to build my list.

And, in a sort, how can that same field be made "aware" that it is the FIRST field in the sort and insert a value of tc 00:00:00:00 (or whatever starting timecode I desire).

I will clarify further if necessary, but in essence, how can I define a calculation that is based on a previous record and how do I make that same field aware that there is NO previous record and should instead use a value that I give it?   (suspect the later is a use of the IF or CASE command, but since I don't know how to make filemaker look at values in other records, I cannot experiment).

The end result is to create a machine readable EDL that will assemble the clips for viewing in the order I have defined.

Thanks heaps for the help.

Outcomes