4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2010 9:21 AM by LeoB

Making preview and screen size identical

LeoB

Title

Making preview and screen size identical

Wow.  I was working on a FMP10 Adv database until last June, then was pulled off for a few months on another project and just started back at it.  This forum has changed drastically!

The database I'm developing is to be used in kiosk mode by the user and the users will mostly have quite limited computer skills.  They will be able to do some basic word processing and e-mail via Yahoo, Hotmail, etc. but cannot be relied upon to use FMP in full mode, and there's no time/way to train them.  Everything has to be WYSIWYG and all movements controlled by buttons.  They will have the capability to print all screens, and I want the printouts to look exactly like what they see on their computer.

Whilst trying to get my brain back into FMP mode, I realized that my preview screen is not exactly matching my on-screen layouts.  I'm currently printing to standard US letter format size, and will later have to modify it to A4 size as potential users could have either.

Does anybody have any guidance to any tutorials anywhere that might help?  I have two books I'm using for reference (FMP Pro 10 Bible and FMP10: The Missing Manual) and can find no joy in either.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Making preview and screen size identical
          philmodjunk

Do you want set layout zoom so that the window shows the same info as a previewed window of the same layout or do you want to resize the window itself?

Either way, I'm not sure I see what problem you are trying to solve with this. Keep in mind that the proportions of your monitor aren't the same as your printed page.

• 2. Re: Making preview and screen size identical
            LeoB

Hi, Phil:

Earlier this year you answered a bunch of my questions.  Glad to see you're still here.

The users will mostly be running the Kiosk mode on something like a 14" laptop.  Even if the Kiosk window on the laptop does not fill the entire screen, my goal is that whatever is on the screen is printed exactly the same way.

I was hoping that there were some standard settings to use to resize the layouts to printed pages.  Of course, I could trial and error it if that's the only option.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Making preview and screen size identical
              philmodjunk

I don't see any way around layouts customized to the specific page size (US letter or A4) unless the differences are so minor that it doesn't matter.

If you have the desired printer and page orientation options selected in Printer setup, you'll see vertical and possibly horizontal dashed lines on your layout to show the locations of the page breaks. You may be able to use them as a guide to make sure that nothing is to the right of this line to keep the layout matching the printed/previewed page.

• 4. Re: Making preview and screen size identical
                LeoB

Well, it was operator error again.  The printer margins were fixed (way off), and I never recalled doing that.

Thanks.