5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2015 9:10 AM by NickA

Making Reminders that will repeat (Weekly, Monthly, etc..)

NickA

Title

Making Reminders that will repeat (Weekly, Monthly, etc..)

I am trying to make a reminder system where the user inputs info such as start date and how often to repeat the reminder.  Filemaker then will show a dialog box on the day of a reminder.  How do I make it so that the dialog boxes will continue to show everytime I open it (I may use server so it could be everytime the database is opened) until a user tells it not to show again that day?  

DOC.png

• 1. Re: Making Reminders that will repeat (Weekly, Monthly, etc..)
          NickA

Will someone please answer this

• 2. Re: Making Reminders that will repeat (Weekly, Monthly, etc..)
            philmodjunk

Let's see if I understand exactly what you want.

If a user selects a start date of June 24, 2015 and selects "Daily", 5 times, they should get a reminder message the first time that they open the file (or everytime?) from the 24th through the 28th?

And if they select weekly, with the above options, they see the specified message on the 24th, July 1st, 8th ... etc? for 5 messages?

Are the messages for just one specific user? all users? a group of users?

A table can record such data and a script setup in File Options to run OnFirstWindowOpen can check such a table for any messages that need be displayed... That's the basic idea, but the details will depend on exactly how you want this to work.

• 3. Re: Making Reminders that will repeat (Weekly, Monthly, etc..)
              NickA

That's the basic Idea.  I'd prefer all users to be notified/ have the notification be done multiple times that day.  I have more of a start date end date process in mind over the amount of times but it's the same idea.

I have a table as of now with a script running what you said above and the main script for displaying the dialogue box in the picture above.  It's set up in a matter that right when it opens filemaker it checks to see if the start date +7 is equal to current date (for weekly) and basically the same idea for monthly and annually.  

2 Problems I'm trying to solve is how I make the dialogue box appear to every user/ a couple times throughout the day, and if filemaker isn't open on the day the start date +7 = the current date, then the date won't change and the script won't work anymore.

• 4. Re: Making Reminders that will repeat (Weekly, Monthly, etc..)
                philmodjunk

What I see is a script that appears much more complex than it needs to be. A script can perform a find using today's date as a way to find which records in the table should be used to display messages. If you just want the message to appear each time a user opens the file, this should be pretty straightforward to set up.

if filemaker isn't open on the day the start date +7 = the current date, then the date won't change and the script won't work anymore.

With what I am describing, there is no date to change so I'm not sure what you have in mind here. Clearly, if the file isn't open, FileMaker can't do anything. If you want a message scheduled to appear on 6/24/2015 to appear on 6/25/2015 if a user did not open the file on 6/24, then this gets pretty complicated as you'd need to track which users had the message displayed as scheduled and which did not. That would require yet another table linked to your table of messages for tracking which users have seen a given message.

• 5. Re: Making Reminders that will repeat (Weekly, Monthly, etc..)
                  NickA

I understand what you're saying but if the table looks like this:

Start date:  06/23/2015

Repeated:  Weekly

How do I preform a find to show a dialogue box on 06/30/2015 and so on