4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2016 5:39 PM by user19752

making sure that both header and title header to appear on the 1st page when printing.

writeremy

Title

making sure that both header and title header to appear on the 1st page when printing.

Hi, 

I used both title header and normal header in my report. But why is it that when i print the report. On the first page, there is no normal header but only the title header. Is it possible to combine and show both title header and the header on the first page of my report?

Thanks. 

• 1. Re: making sure that both header and title header to appear on the 1st page when printing.
          Sorbsbuster

You can repeat the header info in the title header.

• 2. Re: making sure that both header and title header to appear on the 1st page when printing.
            Lindseyzimmerman

Sorbsbuster

Thank you. I am having a similar problem. But I have a Title Header (1st Page only) and a Header (page 2, 3...).

I am using the Form View to enter Packing List information (Via a Packing List Line item Portal) The issue I am having is that with the Title Header and the Header parts, I have to include The portal titles on both headers so that on the First & 2nd, 3rd...pages the Portal titles show up. This works beautifully so I can print in the format that I need, but when I have someone entering the data in filemaker there are two Portal titles and it is congesting my form. Is there any way to allow the Header to print on the first page with the Title Header, as well as pages 2, 3 ... or hide from this form view?

Thanks!

L

• 3. Re: making sure that both header and title header to appear on the 1st page when printing.
              alangodfrey

Sorry, Lindsey, I'm not sure that I understand your question.

I have a Title Header (1st Page only) and a Header (page 2, 3...).

- OK...

I am using the Form View to enter Packing List information (Via a Packing List Line item Portal)

- OK: you have a data-entry screen for entering Packing List data.

With the Title Header and the Header parts, I have to include The portal titles on both headers so that on the First & 2nd, 3rd...pages the Portal titles show up.

- OK...

This works beautifully so I can print in the format that I need, but when I have someone entering the data in filemaker there are two Portal titles and it is congesting my form.

- My first confusion.  Do you mean that having the 'double-titles' (to facilitate printing) takes up too much space on the data entry screen?

Is there any way to allow the Header to print on the first page with the Title Header, as well as pages 2, 3 ... or hide from this form view?

- two ideas: one is that you may want to consider printing from the table that the portal is based on.  It is unusual (but by no means impossible) for the optimal way to print to be from the 'Parent' table.  Commonly when printing stuff that includes portal records one prints from the table the portal records are based on.  Commonly, that is, not 'always'.  The second idea is that you use another common practice: One screen for data entry, and another dedicated layout for printing.  There is no reason why the two different purposes would be best served by the same screen.  You could have one screen for data entry, and another layout for printing. The user need never know...

• 4. Re: making sure that both header and title header to appear on the 1st page when printing.
                philmodjunk

Sounds like you need to use one layout for printing and another for data entry.

Often, not always, using a portal for printing a report is less than ideal and there are other options that can frequently be used in their place that are more flexible for printing tasks.

• 5. Re: making sure that both header and title header to appear on the 1st page when printing.
                  user19752

I'm not sure but form view always showing both title and (normal) header looks like a "bug". Is there any use for this? List and table view show only (normal) header.

I think title header is for printing, so don't need to be shown in browse mode. It never be printed in a page, so showing both in browse mode is not useful for WYSIWYGish purpose... I'm curious for someone's use of this.

Of course, using individual layouts for browse and printing is the most good way, as you suggested. Then title header is not used in layout for browsing, there is no problem.