6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2013 2:41 PM by Matty_1

Manage Database and Edit Layout

Matty_1

Title

Manage Database and Edit Layout

Hi there,

I know that you should NEVER enter Manage Database on a live Database but I'm wondering if there's an issue with entering Manage Database and/or Edit Layout in the UI file if you're setup using the separated model?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Manage Database and Edit Layout
          schamblee

It's just not a good idea to design on a live database, no matter what your doing.  Any bugs can corrupt data and or leaving orphan records if a relationship gets messed up or incorrect.  It best to make a backup and do any changes to it and test for bugs before using.

• 2. Re: Manage Database and Edit Layout
            Matty_1

And what if it's something as simple as, can you add a phone number on this layout?  As far as I'm aware layout changes shouldn't hurt, correct?

• 3. Re: Manage Database and Edit Layout
              philmodjunk

I routinely edit layouts on a live database. As S Chamblee points out, there is a risk of trouble, but I find it's a pretty low risk for layout modifications. The biggest risk as that when you save the changes, the users may be "caught in mid stream" by the design change--leading to confusion or even data entry errors. And since you are dealing with the interface file, it's a simple matter to set up a new separate interface file and just swap things out once you are ready to deploy the changes.

I know that you should NEVER enter Manage Database

Actually, I open Manage Database all the time, but I am careful never to: a) make and commit any changes. b)never to open a specify calculation dialog from Manage Database. Both can lock up a table or all tables against changes by your users and both can produce a damaged file if you get a "glitch" just when you are committing those changes. But just to open and LOOK at things--such as confirming your memory as to which fields are match fields in a particular relationship, that should not be a problem.

• 4. Re: Manage Database and Edit Layout
                Matty_1

oh ok, that's good.  At one point you had told me that even looking could cause some issues so since that day I've been terrified of opening Manage Database during business hours.  Maybe I misunderstood you last time...

Either way, thanks guys!

• 5. Re: Manage Database and Edit Layout
                  philmodjunk

Yes, even "looking" at the calculation used for an auto-enter calculation ( item b) in my "never do this" list shown above) locks the table in which it is defined so don't open up a specify calculation dialog even just to "look" at the calculation used. (Open back up copy for that...)

• 6. Re: Manage Database and Edit Layout
                    Matty_1

Yes for sure, thank you Phil!