1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 9:02 AM by philmodjunk

Managing a Conditional Value List from any Point in the List

AlexandraFaidiga

Title

Managing a Conditional Value List from any Point in the List

Hello, I am very new to Filemaker. I have a time-sensitive issue that I've been working on for quite some time that I really need help with. I need to create a conditional value list organizing the taxonomy of various fossils, which I did, but here's the problem: I need to be able for the list to filter from any point in the list. Taxonomy is ordered in the following way, "kingdom" being the least specific and "genus" being the most specific. These are the fields that I am using in the conditional value list: Kingdom, Division, Subdivision, Class, Subclass, Order, Suborder, Family, Subfamily, Tribe, Subtribe, and Genus. Currently, I am able to choose a "genus" and the list then allows me to select the only possible tribes, families, etc. that match that genus. And that is exactly what I want it to do, but I need to be able to choose a "class", for example, and only have the list allow me to select the possible "subdivision", "division", and "kingdom" specific to that class. This is necessary because some of the fossils do not have enough information to fill this whole list; one fossil may only be identified up to "order", for example. When I click on the "order" field without anything entered in the "genus" field, however, there are no values to choose from in the pop-up menu. To be clear, the list sort of filters backward from the bottom. Each unique genus, for example, only has ONE POSSIBLE "subtribe", "tribe", "subfamily", etc. all the way up to "kingdom". But going from top to bottom, one "subfamily" has multiple possible "tribes". I don't know if that information really matters. Thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to help me out. I've tried to figure it out, but I think this problem is beyond my minimal knowledge of Filemaker. Finally, to create the relationships I have in my table, I used this page: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833

Screen_shot_2013-11-14_at_10.08.33_AM.png

• 1. Re: Managing a Conditional Value List from any Point in the List
          philmodjunk

Here is some additional reference info on conditional value lists. It includes the link you have already found but the last link should be of particular interest to you as it spells out how to set up hierarchical conditional value lists. In otherwords, the value you select in field 1 controls what values appear in the value list for field 2, then when you select a value in field 2, this will control the values listed for field 3 and so forth...

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in FileMaker 12.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

For your Hierarchical conditional value lists, you can set up multiple table occurrences of Master Taxonomy, each linked to Database 2 by a different match field pair in order to get your different value lists to work.

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.