AnsweredAssumed Answered

Managing a Conditional Value List from any Point in the List

Question asked by AlexandraFaidiga on Nov 14, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 14, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Managing a Conditional Value List from any Point in the List

Hello, I am very new to Filemaker. I have a time-sensitive issue that I've been working on for quite some time that I really need help with. I need to create a conditional value list organizing the taxonomy of various fossils, which I did, but here's the problem: I need to be able for the list to filter from any point in the list. Taxonomy is ordered in the following way, "kingdom" being the least specific and "genus" being the most specific. These are the fields that I am using in the conditional value list: Kingdom, Division, Subdivision, Class, Subclass, Order, Suborder, Family, Subfamily, Tribe, Subtribe, and Genus. Currently, I am able to choose a "genus" and the list then allows me to select the only possible tribes, families, etc. that match that genus. And that is exactly what I want it to do, but I need to be able to choose a "class", for example, and only have the list allow me to select the possible "subdivision", "division", and "kingdom" specific to that class. This is necessary because some of the fossils do not have enough information to fill this whole list; one fossil may only be identified up to "order", for example. When I click on the "order" field without anything entered in the "genus" field, however, there are no values to choose from in the pop-up menu. To be clear, the list sort of filters backward from the bottom. Each unique genus, for example, only has ONE POSSIBLE "subtribe", "tribe", "subfamily", etc. all the way up to "kingdom". But going from top to bottom, one "subfamily" has multiple possible "tribes". I don't know if that information really matters. Thank you so much to anyone who takes the time to help me out. I've tried to figure it out, but I think this problem is beyond my minimal knowledge of Filemaker. Finally, to create the relationships I have in my table, I used this page: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833

Screen_shot_2013-11-14_at_10.08.33_AM.png

Outcomes