3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2011 10:08 AM by philmodjunk

Managing Hidden Layouts

rickaltman

Title

Managing Hidden Layouts

I have too many layouts to have them all visible at once, but then it becomes problematic when I want to use a layout that is hidden. I would like to know if it is possible to create a script that generates a list of your hidden layouts, and as a bonus, allows you to select it and automatically unhide and go to it.

Many thanks...

Rick A.
      Pleasanton CA

• 1. Re: Managing Hidden Layouts
          philmodjunk

The only way to "hide" a layout that I know of it to remove it from the browse mode version of the layout drop down by clearing that option in layout setup for that layout. Is this what you mean by "hidden"?

You can't use a script to change this status for a hidden field, but why would you need to?

Even though a layout is not listed in the layout drop down, scripts you perform can still go to those layouts when you need them to.

• 2. Re: Managing Hidden Layouts
            rickaltman

Thanks, Phil. I know that I can access an unlisted layout from a script. There are also times in which I want to access an unlisted layout from the menu or simply have them displayed. At those times, it is inconvenient to have to switch to Edit mode and browse the (long) list. That is why I would be grateful for a script that creates a popup display of my unlisted layouts.

Rick A.

• 3. Re: Managing Hidden Layouts
              philmodjunk

A script can be created that produces a value list of all your layouts, but I know of no method the script can use to detect which are specified as "include in layout menus".

You'd need to set up your own table with one record for each layout where you'd control which layouts are visible in the value lists you control.(rather than the built in one in the status area.)