2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2011 12:35 PM by philmodjunk

Managing Value Lists causes total FMP freeze

JohnHowell

Title

Managing Value Lists causes total FMP freeze

Each time I try to access Value Lists via File/Manage/Value Lists.... , my database freezes permanently and I have to crash to get out.  Any suggestions as to why this might be happening?  NB: When I access same Value Lists via field format dropdown lists, I have no problems, and the Value Lists do all work correctly.

• 1. Re: Managing Value Lists causes total FMP freeze
          Redggie

Is this happening with any other compiled FM database? or just yours? , if all, I would look at re-installing Filemaker. 

• 2. Re: Managing Value Lists causes total FMP freeze
            philmodjunk

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get consistent crashes:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?

Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

What is reported when you recover the file?

The file could be damaged.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
            2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
            3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?

That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...