5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2015 8:56 AM by philmodjunk

Manual Y axis data labels

Stu412

Title

Manual Y axis data labels

I have a chart which cannot be resized, simply because it's printed alongside 3 other charts of the same size and they need to be uniform.

I'm displaying percentage data on one of the other charts, 0-100 % on the min and max settings in chart inspector.

On the second chart, I want to show 40-60 % on a chart the same size, but FM creates some funky numbers in the axis range (43%, 46% as examples - the sort of things you simply would not put on a major chart axis.)

It also doesn't show 60% on the top of the chart, instead stopping at 58%

Infuriating.

How can I force FM to use a manual series for the axis which I determine, such as 40,45,50,55,60 etc?

Thanks in advance everybody

• 1. Re: Manual Y axis data labels
          philmodjunk

Not sure if it is possible, but we'd need to know what chart options your are using as a start. Can you describe your x and y data series and what data source option you are using?

• 2. Re: Manual Y axis data labels
            Stu412

Data source is related records and a related table linked by customer_IDFK

X data series is a column on this ChartData table from for 'YearDate' (each single record is for a single year, ie, 31/03/2014, 31/03/2015 and so on)

Y data series is a column on this from the child table for 'cPercentFigure' which is a calculation of ChartData::FigureA/ChartData::FigureB.  

The typical range for this averages around 60%, so I'd like the axis to be around this mark, ie 40-80, to ensure the line doesn't appear flat as it would do on a 0-100 chart.

Other data series which are on the same child table but appear on different charts are, for example 'cPercentFigure2' which would be ChartData::FigureA/ChartData::FigureC.  

The typical range for this averages around 30%, so I'd like the axis to be around this mark, ie 0-40, to ensure the line doesn't appear flat as it would do on a 0-100 chart.

The above are a couple of examples and there are further calculations which appear in other ranges to which a more flexible axis would lend itself.

ChartData table setup, very rudimentary example:

CustomerID_FK     YearDate     FigureA     FigureB     FigureC     cPercentFigure     cPercentFigure2

1                          31/03/2014   60             100                             0.6 

1                          31/03/2015   30                              100                                        0.3

Thanks

• 3. Re: Manual Y axis data labels
              philmodjunk

Then I'm afraid that you've encountered yet another limitation to FileMaker Chart Objects.

• 4. Re: Manual Y axis data labels
                Stu412

angryI might be able to come up with something, if I cannot, what would you recommend as a plugin?

I've seen there are several out there, and to be fair a line chart which has a defined axis and looks a little thicker/prettier than the native one would probably be enough.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Manual Y axis data labels
                  philmodjunk

I can't recommend as I haven't had the need to use one for this purpose.