1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 4:54 PM by philmodjunk

Manufacturing Inventory Help

CurtQuarquesso

Title

Manufacturing Inventory Help

I've been trying to create a program that will suit my needs, with no luck. I've been through forums, /r/filemaker, and Lynda.com, and I'm just not getting it.

I need a FMP12 Database that can organize this data:

1. List of my Products

2. Master Parts List of all parts within that compose my products

3. Product Recipe Table that shows what each Product is composed of.

A few things to note:

•           This is a many-to-many relationship that I don't know how to solve. I have Products, and Parts, and can't figure out how to bring the recipes into the equation to solve this problem.
      •      
      •           In my instance, many products can have many parts, and many parts can belong to many products. Some parts are universal to all of my products, and some are specific to just one. This makes it a nightmare for me to wrap my head around.
      •      
      •           I'd like to be able to have a field where I can enter how many of each product I've built, and have my database subtract the relevant parts from my Master Parts List. If I say, "Ok, file, I've built 3 Gadgets today." It'll subtract 3 Gadgets worth of parts, specific to the Gadget. I need to see an inventory of my parts so I know when I'm running low.

I am beyond lost. I don't know what my field will be that solves my many-to-many problem. 

My most recent idea has been to create recipes for each product, but I just can't apply any of that due to my lack of knowledge. 

If someone could build a template for me, I'd be eternally grateful. None of the starter solutions apply to me. 

Thanks.

Curt Q