6 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2012 7:33 AM by remoran_1

Many to Many in a portal

remoran_1

Title

Many to Many in a portal

I have a many to many portal whereby I do a self join of categories with lookups into Product Description and Product ID. 
      When I select a category, i.e. Hardware, I get the proper Product Descriptions on the right number of rows but only one product ID 
      on the top line of the portal. I need the product IDs to load just like the descriptions in order to drag and drop the right one into 
      the parent table. Is there any way to get the product IDs to load as per the product descriptions. Any help on this would be terrific.

I know I am close on this, I hope but one never knows.

• 1. Re: Many to Many in a portal
          philmodjunk

You'll need to describe your relationship in more detail or upload a screen shot.

By what field in each table occurrence do you match records?

What exactly do you do when you "select a category"? (Perform a find, select a value from a value list...?)

From what you describe, this doesn't sound like an actual "many to many self join relationship" as that usually entails an additional table to serve as the "join" table linking the two occurrences of your self joined table.

• 2. Re: Many to Many in a portal
            remoran_1

Hi Phil,

The tables are Products and ProductsReference with the Mini to Mini self join using Categories in both tables as the match field. This table set, in turn, connects to InventoryLIneItems as I need to see the range of products listed using Categories to view product listings. As stated before, the mini to min works correctly save that the ProductID only populates the top row of the portal while the ProductDescriptions populates the proper no of portal rows without issue. It's the ProductID that doesn't do the deed. In every way, this mini to mini portal works save for seeing the ProductIDs. HTH

Best

Bob

Thanks for responding to me so soon. 

• 3. Re: Many to Many in a portal
              philmodjunk

Are Products and ProductsReference two different tables or two occurrences of the same table? (It's not a self join if these are two different tables.) You can check this by hovering the mouse over the upper left corner of their "boxes" in manage | database | Relationships. If they are two occurrences of the same table, the same data source table will be listed.

Products::categories = ProductsReference::categories

I can get that far. Then:

This table set, in turn, connects to InventoryLIneItems

InventoryLineItems connects to Products or ProductsReference? And by what field? Categories again?

the ProductID only populates the top row of the portal while the ProductDescriptions populates the proper no of portal rows without issue.

On which table occurrence is the layout based? On which is the portal?

Is the Product ID field specified as coming from the layout's table occurrence or the portal's?

• 4. Re: Many to Many in a portal
                remoran_1

It's two occurences of the same table. Inventorylineitems connects to products via categories. The portal is productsreference. In the product layout, the productsreferences portal with the three fields works perfectly. All fields show without issue. When connected to inventorylineitems using portalreferences with the three fields, the productIDs only populate row one. ProductDescription and Categories populate the right no of fields without issue.

• 5. Re: Many to Many in a portal
                  philmodjunk

I believe that these are the relationships that you have here:

InventoryLineItems>----Products-----<ProductsReference   >--- means "many to one"

Products::categories = ProductsReference::categories
                  Products::categories = InventoryLineItems::categories

I'm not sure what you mean by this: "When connected to inventorylineitems using portalreferences with the three fields,"

Is this a portal to ProductsReference or a portal to InventoryLineItems? Are these fields from InventoryLineItems, PRoductsReference, or Products? (even though Products and ProductsReference are occurrences of the same table, it makes a difference which table occurrence was selected in the specify field dialog before you selected the field when you added the field to the layout.)

Can you upload two screen shots of this layout? Once in Layout Mode and Once in Browse Mode?

• 6. Re: Many to Many in a portal
                    remoran_1

Hi Phil,

I got it to work thanks to you. It was the occurance issue that created the problem. Once I fixed that, the problem went away. Thank you so much for your input. Wihtout it, the thing would not work. 

Best

Bob Smile