AnsweredAssumed Answered

Many to Many problems

Question asked by CekariYH on Sep 9, 2013
Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Many to Many problems

Problems with setting up (or to make it work properly) a Many to Many setup.

**IDx = index fields

Two Main Tables:

Group with two portals, one for a list of people in the group and the other showing all persons not in the group.

A second instance of the Table in the Relation tab Group 2 for second portal

GIDx = numeric auto-incr uniq

IDx = numeric

GDumIDx = Dummy for second portal

Personnel with two portals, one for a list of groups the person has and the other showing all groups not belonging to the person.

A second instance of the Table in the Relation tab Personal 2 for second portal

PIDx = numeric auto-incr uniq

IDx = numeric

PDumIDx = Dummy for second portal

One Join-Table

JGIDx and JPIDx

Relation-Setup:

Group     Join       Personal

GIDx----=JGIDx

JPIDx=---PIDx

(Setup from Knowledge Base "http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9922")

Something I'm missing or set wrong when defining links in the relation tab?

I cant get it to work as when I create a new Group I get a new record in the Join table and when I create a new Person it fills out the linked field in the existing record in the join creating a One 2 One relationship only? (Or when I start with creating Personal it makes no new Join-records)

More Groups creates new Join-records but more Persons than Groups doesn't create new records in the Join-table

In my word there should be at least as many records in the join as the sum of records in Group and Personal and plus one for every more joins on either side?

Then, where do I join the Dummy's to make it work without interfere with the main-joins?

Hope you understand my rambling.

Please help!

Outcomes