3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2013 2:39 PM by ScottFournier

Many to Many Problems - Assumption

ScottFournier

Title

Many to Many Problems - Assumption

Hello,

I'm fairly new to databases in general and I'm learning Filemaker Pro using the "missing manual' and this forum.  It's been a great foundation so far but in building my company's database I'm hung up on one point that I hope you can help with.  I doubt it's anything complicated but I've been stuck here for a week and I can't seem to find a workable solution.

Here's the scenario.

We have multiple employees who take a multitude of training classes from various training providers. 

We have multiple clients who have different training requirements for site access.  Some sites require the same training as other, some require training that is unique to their site.

So therefore I'm assuming this is many to many and for some reason I can't get it to jive.

My goal is to be able to have a layout ( or separate database if needed ) listing all the training courses, their validity period, costs, providers who offer it ( using check box ) and then on my personnel records layout, list when they took each course and the expiration date ( using a calculation related to the validity period ).  From there, I'd like to list on my customers layout the training requirements for that specific client ( using a checkbox that gets it's values from all the records in the training courses layout ) and in a tab, be able to select one of our employees and then have a field identify if he's current in all the training ( show green ) or what he is lacking to be compliant.

I'm sure it's fairly simple but I've been looking at it so long that I can't seem to take the next step.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance