10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 6:36 AM by willem67

many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up

willem67

Title

many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up

This is what happened:

I wanted to build a relational database with many-to-many relations and portals in the lay-out. I did build a few test databases and it all worked very well.

Then I wanted to apply the exact same techique on the real database.... and it did not work.

1. the relation graph does not show any crow's feet.
      2. in the portal the related fields (with the ::) do not appear on top after inserting the portal. 
      It is complete mind-boggeling since I do exactly the same as before. I even tried to build a new database afterward and that one worked fine. I am a bit concerned that in the future sudden bugs appear.

Question:
      1. How does the relation graph know where to put the crow's feet?
      2. Why do the related fields not appear when I configure my portal?
      Willem

• 1. Re: many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up
          philmodjunk

Question:

How does the relation graph know where to put the crow's feet?

The "crows feet" or other symbols at the end of relation line are determined by the indexing, and validation options you've selected for the fields used in the relationship.

Why do the related fields not appear when I configure my portal?

How did you add the fields to the portal? If you created the portal and then selected the fields from the specify field dialog that pops up immediately after, then something is wrong with your relationship. If you used a different method to add the fields to the portal, check to see that the table occurrence you selected the field from matches the table occurrence specified in the portal setup. To check, double click the portal in layout mode note the table occurrence name, dismiss portal set up and double click one of the fields to see if it comes from the same table occurrence.

• 2. Re: many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up
            willem67

Hi, my first question is really solved. I was just about to remove the question. But thank you very much!

About the missing fields in the portal configuration:

I select the fields from the dialogue box. All seems normal till so far. After selecting, the field do not appear in the portal....

I am testing various databases simultaneously and it works in all, except for this particular one...... ( and the most important one...)

Can there be a flaw or a bug? I am completely bewildered....

Willem

• 3. Re: many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up
              philmodjunk

I can't see the field or I don't see the record that I expect?

In layout mode, do you see the fields in the portal, but the portal is empty in browse mode? If so, you need to check over your data and the relationship linking your two table occurrences. I expect that you'll find a problem with one or the other.

• 4. Re: many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up
                willem67

No, no....

the problem happens in the lay-out mode......

after drawing the portal with my cursor, i want to select the fields from the related tables. I can see the tables and the fields I want to select in the dialogue box, but after selecting they do not appear in the portal as usual with the four dots...

• 5. Re: many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up
                  philmodjunk
                     I found a way to recreate what you are reporting. What table is selected for the layout on which you've placed the portal? If it's the same as the table selected for the portal, the :: part of the field names will disappear.
                  • 6. Re: many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up
                    willem67

no it is not the same table. i just want to select a field from the the join table.......

but it just not appear after selecting.

(since my other databases (manufactured the same way) function very well i could start again; but i am just concerned that this could happen when the database is filled ....

• 7. Re: many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up
                      philmodjunk

If you don't see the :: in front of the field name in layout mode, then you have not selected a field from a related table. Instead you have selected a field from the same table as your layout's specified table.

Double click one of these fields in layout mode. What table name do you see in the specify field or field control dialog that appears?

• 8. Re: many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up
                        willem67

i did some more testing and isolating the problem:

it is not portal-related. it also happens when I just insert a single field of a related table. in my good database I see the four dots and the fieldname. in the other database nothing....

interestingly I noticed that in lay-out mode in the good database the fieldnames appear in the field. in the other non-working database I can see entries from the records (and not the fieldnames)

my layoutmode seems corrupted or ......?

• 9. Re: many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up
                          philmodjunk

willem67 wrote:

interestingly I noticed that in lay-out mode in the good database the fieldnames appear in the field. in the other non-working database I can see entries from the records (and not the fieldnames)

my layoutmode seems corrupted or ......?

Nope, that's an option you have turned on for one layout and not the other. View | Show | Sample Data is selected for your "non-working" database.

• 10. Re: many to many relation and missing related field in portal-set-up
                            willem67

I have solved the problem thanks to your advice. I had to look indeed to the settings of my viewing preferences of my layout mode of that particular file.

View | Show | Sample Data 

The solution came from a very different side and there was nothing wrong with my database, my data, my fields or my portals. It only looked different.

Willem