AnsweredAssumed Answered

Many-to-many relationship/scripting query

Question asked by simon_w on Apr 13, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 14, 2014 by simon_w

Title

Many-to-many relationship/scripting query

I'm fairly new to FMP so apologies if this question has an obvious answer or has been answered elsewhere.

I have a many to many relationship between two tables. The first is called "Plant Species Table" and the second is called "Reference Table" and they are linked by a join table: "joinPlantReference Table".

Using a portal on the Plant Species Table, I want to be able to create a new entry in the joinPlantReference Table which links a pre-existing entry on the Reference Table to the current Plant Species entry that I am working on. I also want to be able to add new entries to the Reference Table via this portal.

My current approach has been this: using the approach outlined here - http://techfornonprofits.com/styled-3/downloads-2/files/FMPM2Many.pdf - I have been successfully able to create new entries in the joinPlantReferences Table which links pre-existing entry on the Reference Table. While this has worked perfectly in being able to link pre-existing entries it (seemingly) does not provide a solution for creating new entries in the References table.

I've tried adding a button which creates a new entry using a script. I can get it to create a new entry on the Reference Table, but I cannot script it correctly to create a new entry on the joinPlantReference Table which is linked to the newly created Reference Table entry and links back to to the original entry I was working on the Plant Species Table.  

What would be the best way to script a way to create a new entry in the joinPlantReference Table which is linked to the newly created reference and links back to to the original entry on the Plant Species Table?

Alternatively, is there a better way to approach this problem altogether?

I hope that all makes sense. Many thanks

Simon

Outcomes