AnsweredAssumed Answered

mapping family relationships, automating the join table

Question asked by JamesPickett on Jul 26, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 18, 2012 by JamesPickett

Title

mapping family relationships, automating the join table

I am currently using a Filemaker Pro database I designed to assist me with keeping track of a large number of individuals and relationships between them for hisorical research.

Based on very helpful feedback from a previous forum posting, I currently map familial relationships using a join table. As it currently stands, it is necessary to make two entries for each relationship.  For instance, if I relate "Tom" to "Fred" and designate the relationship "father", I must also add a second entry from Fred to Tom designated "son."  

For a while this system suited my needs, but as my database size has grown it has become extremely cumbersome to manually map these relationships.  For instance, if I have a father, a son, a mother, and a grandson, if I add a granddaughter to add five relationships for the granddaughter and then go back to the other entries and add the reverse of that relationship as well.  Is there a way to streamline / automate this process?  I want the database to work so that if I add a father-son relationship, it will automatically add the reciprocal (son-father) relationship, and - ideally - all the associated relationships as well (e.g. if I have data for a father-daughter relationship, it would add an entry to the join table to designate the son and daughter as "siblings.)

Ideas and advice are most appreciated.  This is a long-term dissertaiton project, so I would love to find a workable solution for this dilemma.

Outcomes