1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2009 1:33 PM by TheProfiler

Margins Slipping

TheProfiler

Title

Margins Slipping

When I create a blank form, then send over text and numeric fields that will be placed around the form as a printable in

a PORTRAIT view.   

Problem is, that the fields placed to the far right usually are cut off when printed.  I lock down the fields, but for some reason they at times slip across the dotted boundary line anyway.    I try and keep the fields from bordering up to the dotted line, but after a while, they seem to slip across anyway, moving as much as 1/8th inch to cross the border or maybe even a little further and therefore these parts are not printed.

I thought it might be the horizontal lines I would place on the page to separate categories, but even when I removed them,

the problem still occurs. 

Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a solution?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Margins Slipping
          TSGal

The Profiler:

Thank you for your post.

When you set up your layout, the printed area is displayed by dotted boundary lines, and that is defined by the active printer setup.  If you change the printer setup or printer driver, the dotted boundary lines can change.  Therefore, if you know which printer is going to be printing this layout, select that printer and page setup as you define the layout.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Margins Slipping
            TheProfiler

Hi TSGAL...

Thank you for your reply......

I am using the FILEMAKER DEVELOPER TOOL, therefore I have software that is bundled and sent to customers as configured with my own system here at the office. 

How would I be able to control this never knowing the printer configuration of the customer?  Do I need to know their printer and configure for their system before I ship the bundle?  And of course, what happens if they upgrade or change printers by their own choice?  

I need something that works across the printer platforms or how can I ever control this?  

If you have ideas, please let me know.    This is a critical issue for my customers who print out my forms for legal purposes and only part of the right edge is appearing......   

Thanks for your prompt reply..

• 3. Re: Margins Slipping
              TSGal

The Profiler:

If it is bundled with your system, it may not apply to the customer setup.  You may want to have them send you their printer drivers.  Or, ideally, you may want to go their office to configure the layout before binding the solution.  If they change printers, let the customer know that it will require more time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Margins Slipping
                philmodjunk

You can usually set up something that will work with most printers by setting fixed page margins.

Enter layout mode

Select Layouts | Layout Setup...

Click the Printing tab

Click the use fixed margins tab and specify margins.

(The margin units desplayed are controlled by the object info pallet. If you don't like the units displayed on the printing tab, cancel the dialog bring up object info and click on the units until you see the units you want. Now return to the above dialog box.)

If you set reasonable margins (1/2 in or larger works for most), and keep the page orientation consistant, you should now see boundaries that won't change when you change printers unless you choose something unusal like a dedicated label printer.

• 5. Re: Margins Slipping
                  TheProfiler

TSGal

I send out the bundle across the USA.....so office visits are not possible.   I hope I do not have a can of worms here.....

QUESTION though, why is my text and numeric boxes crossing the lines once I have them configured to my printer even after LOCK DOWN.   

I have noticed with some of my customers that after I get control on this end it works fine for them when mine stops slipping....  Any idea why this is happening.   I have been doing this for years and only recently has this began to happen. 

I always thought that what you see on your screen, this is what you get.   If the text and fields are inside the dotted line, and when checked in PREVIEW, they look great.   A few days later, these fields or text slips across the lines.  

PURELY PUZZLED...

Thanks for your quick help..

• 6. Re: Margins Slipping
                    TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Excellent!  Totally forgot about this option.

Thanks.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Margins Slipping
                      TheProfiler

I am using   FM  Developer 5.50  and went to Layout, then down to Layout Setup.   Evidently the new versions are configured differently.  

What I have is  FIXED PAGE MARGINS.....    dimmed out unless I check the box.    They are currently set on .017 top,bottom, left and right.  

If I go down to 0.15 for example, I get the warning the information may be clipped.    If I go up to 0.18 then it takes it.   The print out looks exactly the same here.  PERFECT...   but the slipping and the customers printers is where I am concerned. 

I am not given any other options to set the margin or go to an OBJECT.   

Whew.... 

and Thanks again to both of you for helping me,.......       Any other suggestions for an older version of File Maker?

• 8. Re: Margins Slipping
                        philmodjunk

QUESTION though, why is my text and numeric boxes crossing the lines once I have them configured to my printer even after LOCK DOWN.   

I have noticed with some of my customers that after I get control on this end it works fine for them when mine stops slipping....  Any idea why this is happening.   I have been doing this for years and only recently has this began to happen. 

But are the fields really moving or just it just look that way?

Try this experiment:

Enter layout mode and choose graphic rulers from the View menu.

Note the position of the right margin dotted line on that ruler.

Select Print Setup and change the page orientation from landscape to portrait or portrait to landscape.

When you dismiss the set up dialog, use the ruler to check the position of your margin line and your fields.

The margin line has changed position, but the fields have not.

This is what TSgal and I think is happening when you report that the fields are "slipping" past the margin line. If we are wrong, my apologies.

If I'm right, try the suggestion that I've already posted.

• 9. Re: Margins Slipping
                          philmodjunk

The Profiler wrote:

If I go down to 0.15 for example, I get the warning the information may be clipped.    If I go up to 0.18 then it takes it.   The print out looks exactly the same here.  PERFECT...   but the slipping and the customers printers is where I am concerned. 

I am not given any other options to set the margin or go to an OBJECT.   

Filemaker is interacting with your current driver to tell the minimum possible margins for the current printer and its settings. 0.18 is an extemely small margin that won't be supported by many printers.

If you change printer, page orientation or page size, these minimum settings will also change. Set the margins to a large enough size that they will fit the printable area of most printers, keep the page orientation the same, and the margin line's position relative to your fields should stay put.

• 10. Re: Margins Slipping
                            TheProfiler

I hate to be a bother.....  but the two issues that are confronting me are not resolved.

1.  When Bundled and shipped to a distant customer, the margins, don't they automatically adjust to the new (customer)printer without any manual adjustments which is not possible (as far as I know) in a bundled program?   If not, then I could be in serious trouble here.  

2. Any idea why my margins slip and one moment the text is in its rightful place, prints perfectly.....    come back later, print again and it has sipped over the dotted line.  Same printer, same orientation, same everything but the slippage has occurred.    

Again,thanks for your assistance.    

• 11. Re: Margins Slipping
                              TheProfiler
                                 I just saw this response and a test.   I am going to try this right now...  thanks
                              • 12. Re: Margins Slipping
                                TheProfiler

Hi Phil....

Results are.....  When the orientation has changed from portrait, the dotted line boundary changes, but the fields and text remain the same as they were in portrait view.    When I went back to portrait view, all went back to normal.    My margins are set according to the graphic ruler at 8 inches and what appears 1/4 inch (8.25).....   My fields come to the edge as close as (8.20) and on some forms stay put, do not move.  Other forms they jump the border.    

Is there any printer setting that works well with everything>  .017 is default....   any other that would be more acceptable?

Thanks Phil and TSGal

• 13. Re: Margins Slipping
                                  philmodjunk

The Profiler wrote:

Is there any printer setting that works well with everything>  .017 is default....   any other that would be more acceptable?

The larger the margin, the less issues.

If this is a typical, portrait oriented report, side margins of 0.5 inches (note the units, you may see different units in your dialog box) or larger work for almost any printer. This has the added benefit of producing consistent results for multiple printers.

• 14. Re: Margins Slipping
                                    TSGal

The Profiler:

Most of my printer margins are set at 1/2 inch.  That way, if a printer has a minimum margin of .33 inches or .41 inches, the form is not affected.  You'll have to find out the minimum margins on the printer.  It appears your printer has .017 inch minimum.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next