3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 8:43 AM by philmodjunk

Mark a checkbox in a checkbox set if another checkbox in that set is also marked

evanscl

Title

Mark a checkbox in a checkbox set if another checkbox in that set is also marked

In a checkbox set called "Treatment", which is defined by a value list, how do you mark a particular checkbox in the set if another checkbox is also marked? For example, in the attached screenshot, I want to mark the checkbox "Steroid" if any of four other checkboxes are also marked, "Dexamethasone", "Methylprednisolone", "Predinisolone", and/or "Prednisone".

VetTreatments.jpg

• 1. Re: Mark a checkbox in a checkbox set if another checkbox in that set is also marked
          philmodjunk

From a practical perspective it looks like you have too many different groups of check box values specified for the same field.I would make the Steroid check box a value in a different field from the list of 4 steroids listed below it.

Am I correct that you actually have 5 such "sub groups" with an underlined check box immediately above each group that should show as selected if any of the "sub group" check boxes are selected?

And the sub groups are not mutually exclusive? You might, for example show an NSAID and a Steroid selected for the same record?

• 2. Re: Mark a checkbox in a checkbox set if another checkbox in that set is also marked
            evanscl

Yes. I do have 5 "sub groups" with an underlined check box immediately above each group that should show as selected if any of the "sub group" check boxes are selected.

The sub groups are not mutually exclusive; I can show an NSAID and a Steroid selected for the same record.

• 3. Re: Mark a checkbox in a checkbox set if another checkbox in that set is also marked
              philmodjunk

And I see no advantage to setting up a single field for all of these check boxes each "sub group" at a minimum should be a check box set to a different field. In some cases, replacing the check boxes with buttons that look and act like check boxes but actually create and delete records in a related field in order to record and clear selections can be a better option as a way to record the values selected when it comes time, for example, to produce a report that lists the number of times each value was selected across a set of selected patients/subjects.

But let's stick to the question at hand. If you define one field, Steroid for the first check box and format it with a single value value list of "Steroid". You can then define a second field, SteroidList for the sub group of check boxes listed below it.

You can then define this auto-enter calculation for Steroid in order for it to auto-select when any check box in the SteroidList is selected:

If ( Not Isempty ( SteroidList ) ; "Steroid" )

Then clear the "do not replace existing value" check box.

Note: This "locks" the Steroid field to whatever values are or are not selected in SteroidList. You won't be able to select the check box for Steroid, you'll only be able to select one or more steroid check boxes in steroid list to see the check box automatically select in Steroid.