4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2011 7:21 PM by LaRetta_1

Mass Update a Field

agrstephen

Title

Mass Update a Field

I am building a large database from multiple files. In each new file i want to create a feild (File Source) and do a mass update on that to denote the original file.

How do i create this update on selecting records where the field is empty?

• 1. Re: Mass Update a Field
          philmodjunk

You can use Replace Field Contents to put the same value in all the fields of your found set. Is that what you are looking for?

• 2. Re: Mass Update a Field
            kshivner

Why doesn't file maker just simply provide SQL in their product like all other databases in the world. SQL is a standard way to communicate to a database. It would make things a lot easier in Filemaker if you could do that and then embed this SQL in code in your application and run it as a macro or in application code like Access's VBA.

I have need for mass updating data as well and if I can not find a simple way to do it I will just have to port my application to a database that does.

Only logical and non-cludgy ways should apply :)

• 3. Re: Mass Update a Field
              milesm

I have imported a table that has Forename and Surname as separate fields.  I have created a new field called FullName that is calculated on data entry as Forename&" "&Surname.  That works for new records but how do I update the new field in all the existing imported records?

• 4. Re: Mass Update a Field
                LaRetta_1

" That works for new records but how do I update the new field in all the existing imported records?"

You have set it up as regular text field with AUTO ENTER.  It should instead be field type CALCULATION and insert that same formula.  In calculation dialog at bottom, be sure to set the data type result to 'text.'