AnsweredAssumed Answered

Matching fields in a portal with multiple values... I think

Question asked by SkippDink on Nov 20, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 by SkippDink

Title

Matching fields in a portal with multiple values... I think

Ok I think I will have it all together after this. I'm sure Phil (most likely to answer and super helpful through my whole process) is aware of what I'm doing by now but for the sake of explanation here we go...

I have a price list which has fields : Item, Specification, Vendor and price among others. Let's say I a section of my records looks like this:

Item

Specification

Vendor

Price

Chicken

Organic boneless breast

Delmonte

$$$

Chicken

Organic boneless breast

sysco

$$$

Chicken

Organic boneless breast

something farm

$$$

Chicken

Whole 1-2#

Delmonte

$$$

Chicken

Stock bones

sysco

$$$

Noodles

Rotini                     

palo alto

$$$

Where the dollar signs are equal actual dollar amounts that I didn't feel like faking up.

In a separate layout I use a recipe recipe database which holds basic information about a recipe and a related ingredients table in a portal hold all the ingredients. so far so good. this is the functionality I am looking for:

upon data entry I would like to enter an ingredient in the portal lets say chicken! then I would like the specification field to be a drop down list that displays all of the the available specifications for chicken but none of specifications used to describe say, noodles. furthermore I would like the vendor field to act similarly only limiting vendors by data in both of the previous fields. So, I choose "chicken" and then "Organic boneless breast" I would like the vendor field to display only "delmonte", "sysco" and "something farm" in its drop-down list. Likewise if i choose "chicken" then " stock bones" then only "sysco" should show in the vendor drop down list. and finally, the price field (and or others) should display the price for the ingredient that matches completely.

I am also looking into a way to allow complete recipes to show up on as ingredients available for selection in recipe entry accompanied by pricing information. for instance, if I have a recipe for Chocolate ganache and a recipe for chocolate genoise in the database I would like to be able to create a new recipe for chocolate ganache cake by choosing ganache and genoise as ingredients and accompanying them with the procedure etc already built into my recipe entry system. 

Strictly idealistic here, it would be awesome if in the print view of a recipe that utilizes recipes as ingredients, one could click on the name of that recipe to be taken to a print view of that recipe.  

is any of this possible?

Thanks

Outcomes