AnsweredAssumed Answered

matching-comparing Information

Question asked by yomango on Jan 23, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 by yomango

Title

matching-comparing Information

Hello, fellow forists. I am looking for a guidance when comparing two text fields from separate tables.One lists property owners, around 19K. The other table lists court cases (200k+ cases) where the defendant may or may not have a property. I want to find that out one way or the other. Fine up to here.

My first problem is that the defendant field could have more than one defendant . (ie, City of Orlando, John Doe, Jean Smith and others). And my second and most serious problem is that for instance, in the Property table the property owner field reads CITY OF ORLANDO, but in the case table the defendant may read THE CITY OF ORLANDO or ORLANDO CITY or CITY OF ORLANDO or CITY OF ORLANDOet al,etc, etc. Same for people's name, in one table their name reads JOHN DOE or DOE,JOHN or JOHN DOE Jr, or JOHN L DOE, etc., I guess you get the idea. Is there a way to go about comparing and matching this two fields. Another instance, the defendant goes ORANGE COUNTY or ORANGE COUNTY SHERIFF DPT, or SCHOOL BOARD OF ORANGE COUNTY, or any other combination.

It has been a pain for me. I am reaching for your knowledge and guidance. Thank you

Outcomes