5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 10:37 AM by comment_1

Mathematical Algrorithms in Filemaker for Mac OS

t-bro

Title

Mathematical Algrorithms in Filemaker for Mac OS

I want to build an application using filemaker primarily because it works on Mac platforms.

Part of my application is a very hairy mathematical algorithm. I have a version of the algorithm working in MS Visual Basic on a PC platform including a user-defined function in MS Excel for Windows. I understand that this can be re-coded to work on a Mac platform but I am uncertain as to how much work it will take to get there.

Does anyone know if I can call a function from Filemaker, or if I can code the algorithm in a C/Visual Basic etc type language?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Mathematical Algrorithms in Filemaker for Mac OS
          comment_1

Hard to answer without knowing the nature of the algorithm. In general, you have the following options:

1. Implement the algorithm using Filemaker native functions;

2. Use a third-party plugin that adds more functions; some plugins provide access to other calculation engines, e.g. Java or PHP;

3. Use AppleScript (Mac only) to pass the calculation to another application and return the result;

4. Write you your own plugin.

t-bro wrote:

I want to build an application using filemaker primarily because it works on Mac platforms.

If that's your only reason to use Filemaker, you may well be on the wrong path.

• 2. Re: Mathematical Algrorithms in Filemaker for Mac OS
            t-bro

Thank you very much for looking at this.

As to the choice of database - is there another database which would make my life easier? I also need accounting, credit control and customer relationship managment from the database.

Thanks again,

Torsten

• 3. Re: Mathematical Algrorithms in Filemaker for Mac OS
              comment_1
                 LOL, your first post didn't say anything about database… With all its limitations, I doubt you'll find a better choice than Filemaker for this purpose.
              • 4. Re: Mathematical Algrorithms in Filemaker for Mac OS
                t-bro

Thanks again,

About writing a plug-in; someone told me to avoid too specific fixes as they tend to be vulnerable to updates of the software. Is it straightforward to write plug-ins? What language do I use?

Seems like the alternative would be to move the Visual Basic code to Mac OS Excel and then use scripts to get the answers. Again - under the assumption that apple script is less vulnerable to software updates (?).

- and - if this is too many questions just answer what you can. Really appreciate your input!

Thanks

• 5. Re: Mathematical Algrorithms in Filemaker for Mac OS
                  comment_1
                     I'm afraid I know very little about writing plugins. I suggest you read the FMPA Development Guide document that comes with the Advanced version of Filemaker.

However, before you embark upon such adventure: are you absolutely certain that the task cannot be accomplished using Filemaker's built-in tools? Over the years, I have seen very few problems that couldn't be handled by a calculation or a script.