8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2014 12:29 PM by GeoffEvans

Mavericks printing issue?

Matty_1

Title

Mavericks printing issue?

Hi There,

I currently have a layout in list mode.  I've manually changed my printing page layout to landscape.  When I go to print out the document it spits out in portrait.  If I save out a PDF of the same thing, it saves it properly ( in landscape ) and can then be printed with the desired results.  I tried printing twice with the same result to make sure I didn't miss anything.  Has anyone heard of this?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Mavericks printing issue?
          philmodjunk

Each model printer has it's own printer driver so this could be specific to your printer. What model printer are you using?

Are you printing from the File menu or from a script?

Does this only happen on a specific layout or any layout?

Have you tried this in a newly created test file to see if you get the same results?

• 2. Re: Mavericks printing issue?
            Matty_1

Looks like it might be a driver issue.  I printed on a remote printer and had a colleague verify that it printed correct and it did.  Strange.  I've never had landscape printing issues with this particular printer through filemaker before ...

• 3. Re: Mavericks printing issue?
              Matty_1

Oh and to answer your question, the printer is a Lexmark E342n.  Prints properly through preview but not through Filemaker.  So far I've only tried the print button in the navigation bar in preview mode and Print... from the file menu.

• 4. Re: Mavericks printing issue?
                philmodjunk

You should test this on a newly created test file to rule out any possible issues with the layout or the file from which you are currently printing.

• 5. Re: Mavericks printing issue?
                  Matty_1

Printed properly in a new file ... so it's the file matched up with the one printer?

• 6. Re: Mavericks printing issue?
                    philmodjunk

So a layout or the file may be damaged. Such damage sometimes manifests in noticeable issues after an OS update and such can be specific to a particular printer.

Run a recover on the file and see what is reported. Test the recovered copy and see if you still have the same printing issue--even if recover reports no problems. If this file is hosted over your network, you may want to do these tests on a recent back up copy.

You may find that you just need to replace a particular layout or you may need to replace your current copy with an older undamaged back up copy. It's also possible that using advanced recover options with only "copy file blocks as is" and "delete cached settings" might repair your file.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
                    3.           Recover does not detect all problems
                    5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                    7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 7. Re: Mavericks printing issue?
                      Matty_1

Thank you Phil!

• 8. Re: Mavericks printing issue?
                        GeoffEvans

Hi,

I have Kyocera FS C-5150 duplex printer, today I had tried printing a C5 envelope and I could not get the orientation right. I thought, at first it was something I was doing wrong. I tried every which way I could think of to solve the problem, including deleting the layout and remaking, restarting FileMaker 12 and restarted the computer, all the steps seem to be futile. Eventually I uninstalled FileMaker then reinstalled it again I could not get the orientation right. As a measure of desperation I rebooted the computer with a mountain lion operating system installed and low and behold the first time I try to print as I have done before was correct. I can only think this must be an issue with Mavericks. I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks Ray much Geoff