6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 3:01 PM by CarrieB.

Maximum # of licensed users

CarrieB.

Title

Maximum # of licensed users

I am pretty new to FileMaker. I am using FileMaker Pro 10 and sharing it over the network with a few other licensed users. Occasionally, a message will come up as follows: "The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of filemaker pro. Please refer to the license key section of your software documentation for further instructions. License key conflict occurred with iMac-"xxx". All files will be closed and the application will quit." This message comes up when there is only 1 or 2 other users currently in the file, so it hasn't exceeded the maximum #. My only solution is to close and re-open the file on the server. Any way to make these messages stop?

• 1. Re: Maximum # of licensed users
          TSGal

CarrieB.:

Thank you for your post.

This message comes up when the same license key is installed on two different machines.  When FileMaker Pro is launched, it reads the license key and searches the network for anyone else using the same license key.  If found, the error message that you received displays.  It does not mean the maximum number of users currently in the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Maximum # of licensed users
            CarrieB.
               I installed the software on each machine with their own individual license keys. Does it have anything to do with the fact that I am sharing the file over the network?
            • 3. Re: Maximum # of licensed users
              TSGal

CarrieB.:

Sharing the file over the network is fine.

Are you getting this message after using the file?  Or, after launch of FileMaker Pro?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Maximum # of licensed users
                CarrieB.

I'm not quite sure. I believe it was after using the file. I'm not quite sure if it happened when trying to return to the file or closing it, then re-opening it. It happened to another user first, then happened to me last night. I was working in the file, but I was going in and out so much, I really don't know what happened right before the message, except that I tried to go back to the file and it gave me the error message.

Sorry to be so confusing!

• 5. Re: Maximum # of licensed users
                  TSGal

CarrieB.:

No, you aren't confusing.  I'm just trying to get as much information as possible, and you are doing an excellent job at that.

Did the file suddenly close for no apparent reason?  If so, FileMaker may think the file is open, so the message would be presented.  If this happens again, try quitting FileMaker Pro.  This resets the program.  Then, relaunch FileMaker Pro, open Remote, and select the file again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Maximum # of licensed users
                    CarrieB.

That sounds like it may be it. When I went to close the file on the server, it thought I was still logged on, even though I wasn't. Re-starting the file on the server did work, but I thought I had tried to re-start the application on my machine and that it didn't work. I will try that next time and see what happens.

Is there something I can do to prevent the file from closing and thinking it is still open?