3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 11:31 AM by philmodjunk

Maximum clients on peer-to-peer sharing

tjschu

Title

Maximum clients on peer-to-peer sharing

I'm building databases and considering our needs down the road.  We do not need Filemaker Server at this point as we only have a few users who will need access to the databases.  However, we foresee the day when we will be on the verge of hitting the peer-to-peer limit of 9 clients accessing the host simultaneously.

How does the count of the maximum of 9 clients work if we would have two databases that each have a relationship with a main database (using the function to "Add a FileMaker Data Source" when creating a new relationship)?  Would that mean that we'd be limited to a total of 9 simultaneous clients (eg, 4 clients accessing database #1, 5 clients accessing database #2 while both databases have a relationship with a third main database) - or 18 (9 x 2) clients (eg., 9 for each of the two databases that have the relationship with the third database)?

When it comes time to purchase FMP Server, we'll do that (not trying to be cheap here), but I'd like to know when it is that we'll be reaching our limit of what we can do with peer-to-peer.

Thanks,

Tim

• 1. Re: Maximum clients on peer-to-peer sharing
          philmodjunk

The number of clients is the count of the number of copies of the FileMaker Pro application that are currently accessing a hosted file on the host computer. The number of files open does not affect this count.

• 2. Re: Maximum clients on peer-to-peer sharing
            tjschu

Thanks for your reply PhilModJunk.

I'm trying to get to a definition of "accessing a hosted file".  If I have database #1 and it has a relationship with database #2 (for example, based on a client ID in database #1, it grabs the mailing address from database #2), does this type of access count toward the maximum number of clients for that second database even though the user has only "opened" database #1?  Is that counting as an instance of access in place as long as database #1 is open, or only for the moments when the relationship with database #2 is being referenced on a current layout?

I wish I had 9 machines with FM Pro on them to test this.

• 3. Re: Maximum clients on peer-to-peer sharing
              philmodjunk

If you go to computer #1 and and use FileMaker to open 3 files (Open Remote) on the hosted computer, then go to computer #2 and open 2 files on the hosted computer, your "user count" will be 3-- 2 clients and one host.

Theoretically, if you install a volume license version of FileMaker, you can go back to computer #1, log in to the computer with a new user account, use FileMaker to open some more files and your count would now be 4.