5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 10:21 AM by philmodjunk

Memory Error with FMP 10

EnteChow

Title

Memory Error with FMP 10

Three weeks ago I got this error a message "FileMaker Pro.exe - Application Error : The instruction at "0x77fcb7ee" referenced memory at "0x65656565". The memory could not be "read". ". After i added the memory, it showed again. 

It happend everytime I opened the word or excel programm first. When I opened the FMP first, it did not appear.

It is also not stable. Sometimes when I succeeded to open the program and connected to the Host, it just hanged even could not be killed from task management.

My operating system is XP 32 bit and the version of FMP is 10.0v3. My mem is 4 GB.

Hope some one can help me.

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards

Ente

• 1. Re: Memory Error with FMP 10
          philmodjunk

Figuring out why FileMaker is crashing can require some sleuthing to rule out possible issues.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “Hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
          Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,

Select Run from the start menu and type in:

msconfig

Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.

What is reported when you recover the file?
          The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
          That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 2. Re: Memory Error with FMP 10
            EnteChow

Hi,

first thank you for your fast and detailed information!

The situation is that there are three PCs installed with the same FMP. One has been added memory to 4 GB, one is original with 4 GB and the other is 2 GB. The phenomenon I describled in the begninning is the one added memory to 4 GB. The one with 2 GB also crashed everytime when there have been already several programs opened but it came no error message. When there is only FMP, it can be opened but close automatically when try to print something. The original 4 GB one runs well. 

I tried to disable the services different between the good one and bad one. Nothing turned better. I'm pretty sure that it is not file's problem.

Best Regards

• 3. Re: Memory Error with FMP 10
              philmodjunk

Any time you get crashes, you should run a recover just to be sure. Please note that I don't actually USE the recovered copy in these cases, I'm just checking for damage and if any problems get reported by recover, I revert to the newest back up copy that recovers "cleanly".

Not only might file corruption be the source of the problem, but even if the crash was caused by something else, the crash itself could have damaged the file--thus it's a good idea to check just to be safe.

(Note if you are hosting the file with FileMaker server and the crashes are occurring on the client, it's very unlikely to damage the file on the server.)

I'd still run the other tests as well as they will either confirm or disprove your theory as to why it is crashing.

• 4. Re: Memory Error with FMP 10
                EnteChow

Hi,

as you mentioned we are hosting the file from server. The three PC use the same file on the server. Several weeks ago they were all right, but now only one runs well.

Best Regards

• 5. Re: Memory Error with FMP 10
                  philmodjunk

I'd still use recover to check it for damage before investigating other options. I'd still test with a small test file to see if the issue lies with the file or the computer.