5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2011 2:41 PM by philmodjunk

Menu freezing

yaldir

Title

Menu freezing

I am modifying the FMP Productivity solutions. Lately, when I open the file Main Menu, it shows the menu but when say, selecting a menu item, although it calls it but you cannot get to it.  Menu freezes and you can’t minimize, you can do anything else.  It is so BAD that you have to do the ctrl/alt/delete and close the FM from the Windows task window. This happens quite often and I have no idea why is happening. It is very scary indeed and I am concerned.  Is this a known bug?   

Regards

alp

• 1. Re: Menu freezing
          philmodjunk

Not a known bug. Do you know if there might be script trigger that runs a script when you select a value from the menu? Perhaps it is trapped in an infinite loop. If you have FileMaker Advanced, you can enable the script debugger, then select a value from this menu and watch to see what happens.

Some scripts will allow you to cancel them by pressing Esc on windows or command period on Macs.

• 2. Re: Menu freezing
            yaldir

well, when I run with the script debugger, it goes through proper steps and funny thing, and displays the layout like it suppose to.

However, if you run withouth the script debugger, won't do anything.  On this layout, I just added a trigger script to start a timer for about 600 intervals to close the layout but don't know if this is the reason.  It was working before. Now, when I clik on the menu button, nothing happens?

• 3. Re: Menu freezing
              philmodjunk

On this layout, I just added a trigger script to start a timer for about 600 intervals to close the layout

What trigger and exactly what script did you add. By "600 intervals" do you mean 600 seconds?

• 4. Re: Menu freezing
                yaldir

yes, 600 seconds.  I used the FMP example on how to create a timer script.  If the layout is inactive, it closes the file/layout.

OnRecordLoad, script is called.

• 5. Re: Menu freezing
                  philmodjunk

OnRecordLoad calls a script with Set On Timer [600] as its only step?

And what script is performed every 600 seconds (10 minutes)?

Doesn't sound like this is the issue, but it pays to be careful here.

Have you tried running a recover on this file to see if it has any possible file corruption?

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
                  2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                  3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.