2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2012 1:26 PM by philmodjunk

Merge a FileMaker database with a MS Word document

GeoD.

Title

Merge a FileMaker database with a MS Word document

I am trying to merge a FileMaker database with a MS Word document (form letter). I'm on an iMac, os Lion, and have up todate FileMaker Pro 12 and Office:mac 2012.

First problem is that in the Mail Merge Manager, when I try to Select Recipients List and select FileMaker Pro, I am unable to choose a FileMaker Pro Database as a data Source (they are visible, but grey).

Second problem is that if I Open Data Source and select my FileMaker DB, I get a series of 3 messages that I am not sure how to answer, Convert File, File Conversion, and Header Record Delimiters. I can't find information to correctly answer these 3 messages in Filemaker Help, Hands-on Guide, support, or forums.

Can you help me please?

• 1. Re: Merge a FileMaker database with a MS Word document
          davidanders

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5543/~/microsoft-word-for-mac---data-merge-manager-%28mail-merge%29-with-filemaker-pro-7

Why can't I do a mail merge with FileMaker Pro when I use the Data Merge Manager in Microsoft Word for Mac?

Answer ID: 5543Last Updated: Feb 24, 2012 12:37 PM PST

ISSUE:
          FileMaker changed the application format with the release of FileMaker Pro 7.

FileMaker Pro 7 and later use the .fp7 extension and this is not recognized by the Data Merge Manager in Microsoft Word for Mac.

RESOLUTION: 

A quick way to address this issue would be to:

1. Export the data from FileMaker Pro in a format that is recognized by Microsoft Word.
          2. Import the data into Microsoft Word

FileMaker Pro and many application programs that you want to exchange data with use a proprietary file format. In order to exchange data, you must export the data from one application in a format that the other application can import. If you're exchanging data with another application program, check the documentation that came with that program to determine a common intermediary file format that both FileMaker Pro and the other program supports.

To export FileMaker Pro data:

1. Open the FileMaker Pro file, and display a layout that shows the records you want to export.
          2. Find and sort the records to export.
          3. Choose File menu > Export Records.
          4. In the Export Records to File dialog box, type a name and choose a location for the file.
          5. Choose a file type from Type (Mac OS). Use a file format like Merge (.mer) which is supported by Microsoft Word, then click Save.

Further information on how to export FileMaker Pro data to be used in another application and supported formats can be found in FileMaker Pro Help.

NOTE: This issue is resolved in Microsoft Word for Mac 2011.

• 2. Re: Merge a FileMaker database with a MS Word document
            philmodjunk

Note that the merge file format was specifically intended for use with MS Word for setting up Merge documents.