6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2014 8:55 AM by shae1725

Merge changing decimal point to a coma WHY?

shae1725

Title

Merge changing decimal point to a coma WHY?

I am having a problem with this merge

"" & drawScale & " , " & drawScale & "" set as number

it should look like this 0.2345 , 0.2345

but returns  0.2345 , 0,2345

the decimal becomes a coma and because its being read by a javascript  I am having big problems

anyone know how to resolve?

• 1. Re: Merge changing decimal point to a coma WHY?
          schamblee

The merge as listed above this not correct.  I don't know what 'set as number' is but if it is text that is added at the end then it needs quotes around it.   

I had no problems  with the merge leaving off the set as number.  Also the "" at beginning and the end of the merge are not necessary

• 2. Re: Merge changing decimal point to a coma WHY?
            shae1725

Hi sorry yes its         drawscale & " ," & drawscale

drawscale is a number field if that makes any difference to solving the issue I am having!

the issue is that its not working as it should or as I think it should

if drawscale has a value of 0.1234 then you would expect the above to return    0.1234 , 0.1234

but no its returning    0.1234 , 0,1234 notice the coma in the second value instead of a decimal

this is a huge problem as this is a block to be added to a javascript and decimals and comas in the correct places are rather important

I have been trying to solve this all week and ready to put the pc through my study window :(

• 3. Re: Merge changing decimal point to a coma WHY?
              philmodjunk

I suggest the following test:

create a brand new file with just one number field and this calculation field. Create everything "from scratch" do not copy/paste anything from your current file.

Check the results in this new copy of the field and see if you get the same results.

This test will rule out or confirm some possible issues with your file and your data.

• 4. Re: Merge changing decimal point to a coma WHY?
                shae1725

Hi Phil

Done it and its working as it should

what do I do from here? Rebuildfrown

• 5. Re: Merge changing decimal point to a coma WHY?
                  philmodjunk

This reminds of a very different issue with date fields. The user entered dates with one locality setting specified into a text field that he later converted into a date type field and also (if I remember correctly) specified a different locality for his computer. The possible common issue here was a change in locality as the comma is used as the decimal point character in many locations just as different date formats used during data entry can be locality specific.

Is there any chance that the value in this field was either entered with a comma used as the decimal point or where a locality change has been made on the computer where the data was entered?

I'd run the following "fixes" one at a time stopping when/if it fixes the issue:

Create a brand new layout in your current file. Put a brand new copy of this calculation field on that layout. Check and see if that field correctly displays the data.

Save a compacted copy of the file (not likely to work but it's simple and fairly fast)

Use Advanced Recover Options to rebuild all field indexes (also not a good bet but beats rebuilding the file)

Recover the file and test

Save a clone of any of either the original file, or one of the copies produced by the above steps and then import all your data into this clone.

Add a new number field to your table. Use Replace Field Contents to copy your numbers from the original field into the new. Test the new field by setting up this calculation. If it works, remove the original field and use the new field in its place.

• 6. Re: Merge changing decimal point to a coma WHY?
                    shae1725

Hi Phil

You are a starsmiley

I compacted a copy then cloned it without records and now its working!!!!

Many Many Thanks