5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2013 8:31 AM by philmodjunk

Merge Container field with signature

sundown

Title

Merge Container field with signature

I want to add a signature to some form letters. I added a Container Field & inserted the signature as a jpeg. I can insert it in my form letters, but the placement is fixed & the letter contents vary because they contain merged data fields of various sizes. This makes the signature field appear in various locations relative to the letter content length.

When I insert the container field by Merge Field, so it will always be at the end of the letter contents, I only insert the picture title (name.jpg), not the signature it contains.

Need advice on how to locate the signature so it is on the signature line as total letter content varies.

• 1. Re: Merge Container field with signature
          philmodjunk

I am guessing that you need this for printing or saving as PDF. The following will work for that, but is not visible in browse mode.

Select the text object that contains your merged fields for the body of your letter while in layout mode and using sliding and visibility settings to set this object to slide up and to resize the enclosing part. Then select the container field with the signature in it and click over to the data tab where, at the bottom of this tab, you can change the default vertical alignment from "center" to "top" alignment.

Then return to the position tab and set it to slide up and resize. If there are any layout objects alongside or between these two objects, they also need to have these settings specified.

Now, when you preview your layout, you should see the signature slide up to remain close the bottom of the body of your letter.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          • 2. Re: Merge Container field with signature
            sundown

Thanks for the quick response Phil.

Yes, i am doing this for my PDF email letters. The sliding fields should work but will require me to modify several form letter types, where merge field would have been easy. Do you know why the merge does not work with container fields?

One question. Do I insert the container field inside the dashed lines of the text area or ouside in a separate text area?

• 3. Re: Merge Container field with signature
              philmodjunk

Merge fields cannot display graphical data. Your container field must be a simple straight up field and thus cannot be part of any text block on your layout, nor does it need to be.

• 4. Re: Merge Container field with signature
                sundown

One more question Phil. I originally had the instructors title & name typed at the bottom of the letter with a line for the signature. How do I maintain the relationship of this typed data title to the container field so the signature is not just isolated at the bottom? Maybe another text block with the typed title data & date below the signature container?

• 5. Re: Merge Container field with signature
                  philmodjunk

They should also be set to slide up and resize. Basically, every object in the same layout part that is beside or below your uppermost sliding object needs to have the same options set in order to avoid the creation of an unwanted blank space between them and the bottom of the first sliding object.