AnsweredAssumed Answered

merge field / portal display with conditional value lists

Question asked by general on Dec 3, 2009
Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 by elizas

Title

merge field / portal display with conditional value lists

Hello,

We use filemaker 10 to track our interactions with clients.  I am using a conditional value list to limit the number of facilities we visit to show only those related to the selected company.  So, when one of our employees creates a new visit record, (s)he selects a company (pop-up field that displays data from visit layout, company id, and values from companies value list that uses values from the companies table), then a facility (pop-up field that displays data from visit layout, facility id, and values from facilities value list that uses values from the facilities table).  Companies are related one-to-many to visits by company id, and one-to-many to facilities by company id.  On the visits layout, I have a merge field that displays the facility name from the facilities table (<<facilities::facility name>>).  On various other layouts, I have portal records that also display the facility name from facilities table.

WHEN COMPANY ID one-to-many to VISIT::COMPANY ID as well as FACILITY::COMPANY ID

-displays only the first record associated with selected company.

WHEN COMPANY ID one-to-many to FACILITY::COMPANY ID which is related to VISIT::FACILITY ID

-displays the selected facility. 

I would like to create a conditional value list that limits the number of available facilities by the selected company (not only do we have some employees specifically assigned one company, it also reduces the amount of wrongly assigned facilities when we compile reports).

I would also like to have the various merge fields and portal records to display the associated facility name, not facility id, as facility id is sequentially generated, and has no meaning.

Thanks for your help!

FMP10

Mac OS X 

Outcomes