10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2013 4:17 PM by NitaRazvan

Merge field and portal row

NitaRazvan

Title

Merge field and portal row

Hi everyone,

I am new to filemaker and i was struggling to solve this:

How can i pull out data from a portal row (and a specific field) into a MergeField or MergeVariable ?

so if i have multiple rows i will have multiple "MergeFields" in specific places on a layout.

I've tried and i only have data from the first row. That's driving my crazy!

Maybe it's a simple solutions but i don't get it.

Please help!

• 1. Re: Merge field and portal row
          philmodjunk

Why do you need this? Can you describe what you are doing in more detail?

Can't help thinking that there may be a much simpler approach to producing the results that you need--such as putting the merge fields inside a portal.

But a calculation can be defined that uses the List function to combine data from related records as a series of rows of data:

List ( Portaltable::Name )

for example, would produce a list of the values in Name from the related table, provided that the portal is not a filtered portal.

• 2. Re: Merge field and portal row
            NitaRazvan

Thanks for you're answer!

I am a student in medicine and i'm trying to build a database with all the diseases i have to learn. So i need to have tables with all the simptoms and somehow i have to link a disease with all the simptoms that describe this disease. Because there are so many i need to know somehow what conections i've made in database between simptoms and diseases. And i was thinking it will be nice if i have a layout with this mergefields and in this way i will see better what have i conected. (sorry if my english is not correct). 

• 3. Re: Merge field and portal row
              philmodjunk

But how does merge fields make this any better than just listing them in the portal?

And keep in mind that it is also possible to list these records on a layout based on the portals table with fields from the parent record placed in the header.

• 4. Re: Merge field and portal row
                NitaRazvan

an example:

almost every disease evolves in stages. In the first stage it may have some signs in the second stage other signs. So i need to know: have i described corectly a disease in my database? It's annoying to click and click and so on to see if i put all together. That's why i was thinking at this mergefiels. It will be an elegant solution.

• 5. Re: Merge field and portal row
                  NitaRazvan

In the portal i have many blank fields depending on each disease and i don't want to see this blank fields. But i need portal to put together signs, simptoms and diseases.

• 6. Re: Merge field and portal row
                    NitaRazvan

And thank you Phil!

• 7. Re: Merge field and portal row
                      philmodjunk

I don't think merge fields will be any improvement.

You might consider setting up the list view layout that I described in an earlier post.

• 8. Re: Merge field and portal row
                        NitaRazvan

I was thinking about this mergefiels because if i don't put a value in a field the coresponding mergefield will stay hide. It will only show if i set up a value. The problem apear when i have two different values in the same field. Mergefield only show the first one.

Thank you anyway!

• 9. Re: Merge field and portal row
                          philmodjunk

What you describe is much too vague for me to make a suggestion. I'd need to know how your data is structured.

if i don't put a value in a field the coresponding mergefield will stay hide. It will only show if i set up a value.

That's also much the same case if you use a portal for this, only the rows where you have created a related record appear in the portal and you can even use portal filtering to work with smaller subsets of the related records if that is something you need to do.

• 10. Re: Merge field and portal row
                            NitaRazvan

Thanks again. I will upload my database in this weekend i think. If you have time maybe you will take a look . I will try to make most sense of it and put all the information in english. Have a nice weekend!