10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 2:16 PM by philmodjunk

Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??

GregorySands

Title

Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??

Hi Everybody,

(FMP Advanced 11.0 v3/Mac 10.5 OS)

Has anyone experienced a problem with merge fields whose contents does appear without a problem when you're in Browse mode---but does not appear when you switch to Preview mode?Undecided

I checked the Inspector---"Non-Printing" is not selected for the text block which contains these fields, as far as I can  tell, the field contents should be visible in Browse and in Preview mode.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this problem!

GregS

• 1. Re: Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??
          philmodjunk

Any conditional format specified for this block of text?

See if the text block is grouped with a second object. If so, ungroup it and check again to see if it has been specified as "non printing".

• 2. Re: Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??
            GregorySands

Thanks for your reply PhilModjunk---unfortunately none of the objects are grouped or appear to be subject to any conditional formatting.

Anything else that might come to mind woudl be appreciated-thanks!

GregS

• 3. Re: Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??
              philmodjunk

In layout mode, is it positioned inside the printable area?

While in layout mode, select the printer and page orientation you would use when printing or previewing your layout. Look for a heavy, vertical dashed line on your layout. Any objects to the right of that line will not show when you print, PDF, and/or Preview your layout unless you first change the paper size and/or paper orientation. (Also check your settings when previewing for the same reason.)

• 4. Re: Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??
                GregorySands

Viewed in Layout mode, the text block containing the merge fields is entirely contained within the heavy lines (although on my screen these boundary lines have a more "braided" appearance rather than "dashed") which I assume delineate the perimeter of the printable area. I double-checked that the parts of the text block which do not actually contain text also do not cause it to extend beyond the right hand or bottom boundary lines, just to be sure since I realize that blank space can cause a text block to extend further in one direction.

New information I discovered that may be helpful---suggesting some kind of global issue with my preferences or something like that---the non-appearance of merge fields does not seem to be limited only to one layout. Other layouts also are exhibiting this problem

• 5. Re: Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??
                  philmodjunk

Can you post the actual merge text here?

Also, this is an obvious question, but sometimes we have to ask the obvious to rule out possible issues, when you preview your layout, you are selecting preview directly from a menu, not clicking a butto to perform a script?

• 6. Re: Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??
                    GregorySands

Sorry I didn't check on this sooner, but I have just discovered something confusing---the merge fields, while NOT appearing in Preview mode, they DO appear when I actually use the Print dialogue to generate a PDF document of the page containing the merge fields. So the desired appearance is achieved in a PDF document but not in Preview mode.  Perhaps I just need to consider PDF as my Preview mode for this particular layout?

Anyhow, below is the main body of the merge fields as they appear with the text block:

SPEAKER:  <<Guest Speaker DrProfMrMs>> <<Guest Speaker FNMI>> <<Guest Speaker LN>>
                                     <<Guest Speaker Department Lab Center>>
                                      <<Guest Speaker Institutional Affiliation>>
                                      WEB: <<Guest Speaker Homepage URL>>

TOPIC: “<<Guest Speaker Seminar Title>>”

SUMMARY: <<Guest Speaker Seminar Abstract>>

• 7. Re: Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??
                      GregorySands

Apologies I have to post again---my previous post was sent prematurely because some combination of keys triggered the "Post Answer" button somehow.

To answer your question, which I completely understand, no I did not use a script to switch into Preview mode---but I do use the shortcut keys Command-U. I assume that this key combination is not a script-trigger but an application shortcut. Could that make a difference? I tried accessing Preview mode using the drop down menu but this didn't change the appearance of the text with its absent field contents where the merge fields are positioned.

Thanks for your persistence!

GregS

• 8. Re: Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??
                        philmodjunk

Are the values of these fields in the merge text something that might be blank on the first record of your found set?

Preview will display all your found set records while in preview--starting with the first record in your found set--which can be a different record from the current record. If you then print or save as PDF with the current record option, you'd then see this data on your printed/PDF'd copy, but not necessarily in the first page of your preview. (if this is the case, you can click on the book icon to change pages until you get to the current record.)

• 9. Re: Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??
                          GregorySands

Ahhhh....that could well be it. Yes I am now finding that when I specify "Current Record" in the print dialogue box, the Preview appearance of the record/layout in question is correct, and is matched by the appearance of the PDF that is generated. 

I think you nailed it. I failed to select the same record in Preview mode that I was printing using the Print dialogue, thereby causing a different result. I knew the cause of the discrepancy had to be either something extremely simple, or extremely exotic.

Thanks for working with me to puzzle things out! I'd probably be running in circles still without your help. I'm much happier to know that it's something simple that needs only for me to ask the right questions of myself as I tweak and peek at the layouts.

GregS

• 10. Re: Merge Field Contents appear in Browse mode--but not in Preview mode, Cause??
                            philmodjunk

When printing from reports based on a single record, it is sometimes useful to isolate your current record in a found set of just the current record. Then "current record", "records being browsed" and Preview mode will all produce identical results.