3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 10:16 AM by philmodjunk

Merge field with really long name but very short data

ianmanning

Title

Merge field with really long name but very short data

I have a merge field that has a really long (descriptive) name but the data it contains is only 3 characters long.

When I add this to a layout with other merge fields the total length of the text is to loong to fit on the layout.

I know that I could simply rename the field to something much shorter but it is much easier to work with descriptive names.

The field is currently called "Customer Project Percentage Complete" so possible values are 0 to 100 ,  I could rename it to CPPC but that is not very readable

Is there a way to have a long merge string in a short space?

Thanks

Ian

• 1. Re: Merge field with really long name but very short data
          philmodjunk

Sometimes you can just let the text block containing the merge field to be extra wide and over lap other layout objects. While it overlaps in layout mode, it won't in Browse.

Other times, especially in version 12, you have to be able to get the size down so that it fits inside a tab control or a portal row and there can be other reasons you need that adjustment as well.

Option 1: Don't use a merge field. If the reason you are using a merge field is to keep users from accessing the field, replace it with a regular field and use the Inspector's behavior settings to deny access to the field.

Optoin 2: In the example below, select the text shown in red and specify an extremely small font size. The field name will no longer be readable in layout mode, but the merge text will be much narrower. The size specified for the red text will not determine the size of the data displayed. That will be determined by the size specified for the black portion of the text.

<<Customer Project Percentage Complete>>

• 2. Re: Merge field with really long name but very short data
            ianmanning

Fantastic tip.

I used a merge field as it is part of a longer string of text and merge fields but changing the inner part of the merge field to 6pt font means I can still read it in layout mode and the size is uneffected in browse mode.

Thanks again for your wonderful help.

Best regards

Ian

• 3. Re: Merge field with really long name but very short data
              philmodjunk

This is not a trick that I figured out all on my own. Another person shared their file here in the forum and when I opened it, I noticed this peculiar formatting and figured out  by comparing browse and layout view modes why he had formatted his merge fields in this fashion.