Possibly. If you are using FileMaker 14 or later and "Net Monthly Salary: <<Net Monthly Salary>>" is a separate layout object, you can use Hide Object When to hide this object when the field is empty.
If you need to make this part of a larger text block and only this part should be visible, you can define a calculation field that returns the field label only when the Net Monthly Salary field is not empty and insert it as another merge field in place of the layout text.
I am working in FM13
I am trying to do a layout that has the following merged fields on it and I want to try and make the merged field and its header disappear and move up the page if the actual field is empty.
Name: <<First>> <<Last>>
DOB: <<Date Of Birth>>
Relationship Status: <<Assets::Relationship Status 1>>
Annual Salary: £<<Assets::Annual Salary 1>>
Net Monthly Income: <<Assets::Net Monthly Salary 1>>
Net Monthly Other Income:<<Assets::Net Monthly Other Income>>
Sorry, I meant "FM 13 and later as FM 13 introduced "Hide Object When".
What I described with calculation fields used to label each field shown in your example will work.
Making each line a separate text object with Hide Object When could also be used if: a) you set all your items to "slide up" in the inspector and you only needed to see this happen when in Preview Mode or when printing/saving as PDF.
A third alternative is to define a single calculation field and put all of this into one large calculation and then you would just put that single field on your layout.
Thank you, I have tried the 3rd option and can get them to hide based of the field being empty but if I make each line a separate and insert the field and then select hide plus slide up options, it hides but does not move up.
sorry I meant used your 2nd option
Apologies, I kept it in browse mode and did switch to preview.
I think this works, let me do some more and I will let you know.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
- In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.