4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 5:58 PM by brianaustin

Merge Fields Number shows as Boolean

brianaustin

Title

Merge Fields Number shows as Boolean

Hi all,

I have an 8 digit number in a numeric field I want to display, but on my layout it shows as a Yes.

I'm using a merge field,not a  db field.

I understand the number/boolean yes no thing, how do I stop it?

thanks in advance

B

fmp1.jpg

• 1. Re: Merge Fields Number shows as Boolean
          RickWhitelaw

Need more info. How is your merge field set up?  Why use a merge field to display a simple number?

• 2. Re: Merge Fields Number shows as Boolean
            brianaustin

I create the merge field by pressing ctrl-m and double clicking the ABN field.

I should be able to merge a number yeah?  what if it was a money thing?

is there a format merge field option? I cant find it. only to change the font.

using merge fields.. umm.. because I want to?  not keen on the way fields look.

• 3. Re: Merge Fields Number shows as Boolean
              philmodjunk

A merge field is part of a text object on your layout. One text object can contain multiple merge fields. You can select that text object and specify a single data format for each formattable data type, one format for numbers (such as this boolean format) one format for date, one for time... But this format will apply to all merge fields of that data type that are within that same text object.

If this number field is the only number field in that text object, you can select that text object while in layout mode and select a different number format. But if you have a second number field in the same text object that requires the boolean format, then you have a problem that will require a different approach to solve.

So I will repeat Rick's question: Why are you using a merge field? Knowning why you have chosen that option can help us to suggest other approaches should such be necessary.

• 4. Re: Merge Fields Number shows as Boolean
                brianaustin

the "Inspector" dialog - if open when you click on the merge field - gives these options. 

I was clicking on the merge field with the inspector closed.

thanks guys