3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 2:30 PM by TSGal

Merge Starter Files?

krasna

Title

Merge Starter Files?

I just installed FM Pro 9. To save some effort, I want to start with 3 of the "Starter Solutions." They look nice and even if I modify them, it still seems easier than starting from scratch. I want to modify them, and create relationships to make them work together. Each of the Starter Solutions has only 1 Table. Can I merge the three so I'll have all the tables and layouts in one database file? I don't have any data entered yet. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Merge Starter Files?
          TSGal

krasna:

Thank you for your post.

You can import the fields and data into a new table, but you will have to copy and paste the layouts into the other table.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Merge Starter Files?
            krasna
               Thank you for your reply. I've been looking for instructions about how to do those two steps. Apparently copy and paste table is an "Advanced" function that I apparently don't have. And I can't find anything on copying and pasting layouts, either. Sorry to be a pain. Maybe I should just use the three files separately? Seems like an awkward way to do it.
            • 3. Re: Merge Starter Files?
              TSGal

krasna:

After importing the data from the other table, you will have a layout associated with that new table.  You can then go to your original file, go into Layout Mode, select all and copy to the clipboard.  Move to the new table, enter Layout Mode and in the current layout or a new layout, paste from the clipboard.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.