6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2010 12:34 PM by johnRees

Merged Letters and Reports

johnRees

Title

Merged Letters and Reports

I am trying to create merged letters that relate only to specific records in my database.  At present I have created a merged letter but it has replicated itself to all the records in the database. Could someone please tell me how I can make sure that I when I create and then print the letter that I can clearly define the extent of the records to which the letter relates.

Many thanks 

• 1. Re: Merged Letters and Reports
          philmodjunk

Are you using merge fields in your record to insert information from your database into the letter?

Can you spell out some more detail about this letter?

In general terms, printing from any layout has two built in options: "Records being browsed", the layout is used to print referencing all records in the current found set, and "Current Record", the layout is used to print referencing just the current record.

If you want to print from a layout and only reference certain records, perform a find (by hand or in a script) to set up a found set of just the records you want and then print using the "records being browsed" option.

• 2. Re: Merged Letters and Reports
            davidanders

Doing a find for all records that have John in the first name field will print the letter only for those records.

This assumes that Print "Records Being Browsed" is selected in the Print command and not "Current Record" 

When exporting the same thing holds true. Only the found records wll be exported.

• 3. Re: Merged Letters and Reports
              johnRees

Paul, 

Many thanks for your advice and speedy response. I will try that.

Kind regards

John 

• 4. Re: Merged Letters and Reports
                johnRees

Thanks Phil,

Yes I am using merge fields from from the database.  In essence I an attempting to create three different letters each one has common data from merged fields in the database, but then each of them has merged fields specific to each letter. So really I need to split the printed outcome into three categories. Just to clarify the process, should I perform the find first for the range of records in the database and then create a letter layout or can I do it the other way round?

Kind regard

John 

• 5. Re: Merged Letters and Reports
                  philmodjunk

Perform the find just before you preview or print the layout. You do not need to do so before that point.

• 6. Re: Merged Letters and Reports
                    johnRees

Many thanks. 

Let's see what happens!