7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2014 8:21 AM by philmodjunk

Merging fields to a Landscape Layout

sundown

Title

Merging fields to a Landscape Layout

I have been merging fields on a layout & emailing them as PDF status letters. These layouts are portrait format.

I want to make a layout in the landscape format, merge fields on it & email as PDF file.  Cannot figure out how to make a blank layout in landscape orientation before I merge the fields. What am I missing?

• 1. Re: Merging fields to a Landscape Layout
          philmodjunk

A blank layout is in neither portrait nor landscape orientation. You can use either orientation with any given layout. This is an option you select in print setup.

When designing your layout, enter layout mode and then select Landscape and your desired page size in Print Setup to place the "Printable area" guides in the correct place.

When you save as PDF from this layout, make sure to use print setup to specify the landscape page orientation.

• 2. Re: Merging fields to a Landscape Layout
            sundown

Thanks very much Phil. Since I am emailing these layouts as PDF files i never thought of using the print setup to specify orientation. 

Not sure of what to do with my PDF email script according to your last sentence. Will upload an example of my email script. Do I need to change anything?

Another question. When I email a 2 page layout, both pages portrait, the 2 pages go as one PDF file in one email. If I change the second page to landscape, do I have to send 2 emails or one email with two PDF files?

• 3. Re: Merging fields to a Landscape Layout
              philmodjunk

Print Setup is also a script step and you can use it to specify landscape orientation before you Save Records As PDF step.

Print step up specifies the orientation and page size for all the pages PDF'd from your layout so it would be difficult to get one page in landscape and the second page from the same layout in portrait.

You might get this to work if you did two Save As PDF steps with the second set to append it's PDF to the first. That would allow you to use print setup to change the pagorientation, but you'd have a bit of trouble getting the page breaks to break where they need with such a change in orientation.

It would be simpler to use two layouts, using the append option with the second save Records as PDF script step to append that PDF page to the one produced from the first layout.

• 4. Re: Merging fields to a Landscape Layout
                sundown

Thanks again. I will go with the simple option, but not clear on how to append. The 3 script steps I listed above is what you sent to me when I was first setting up the PDF email script.

I assume I have to do a script like this:

Go to layout ("portrait")

Set Variable ($PDFPath; Value Get ( ...

Print Setup (Restore; No Dialog) …setting this to portrait orientation

Save Records as PDF (Restore; no Dialog; "$PDFPath"; Current record

Go to layout ("landscape")

Set Variable ($PDFPath; Value Get ( ...

Print Setup (Restore; No Dialog) …setting this to landscape orientation

Send Mail (Send via email Client …..

And then put this in a loop for all selected clients.

Is this what you mean? And would this send the 2 PDF files in one email?

• 5. Re: Merging fields to a Landscape Layout
                  philmodjunk

Save Records  as PDF has an option for appending the PDF to an existing PDF file. The appended PDF will start a new page in the resulting document. This option is only available in the script step, you can't select it when using Save As... from the File menu.

IN the above script, the "append" option is what you would select only for the second Save As...script step.

• 6. Re: Merging fields to a Landscape Layout
                    sundown

Thanks again Phil. I have it working just like I wanted, one email per client with 2 pages in PDF file, one portrait & the second landscape.

Here are the script steps for this function. It works but I was wondering if this looks good to you?

Go to layout ("portrait")

Set Variable ($PDFPath; Value Get (DocumentationsPath) ….

Print Setup (Restore; No Dialog) …setting this to portrait orientation

Go to layout ("landscape")

Print Setup (Restore; No Dialog) …(setting this to landscape orientation)

Save Records as PDF (Restore; Append; No dialog; "$PDFPath"; Current record

Send Mail (Send via email Client …..

• 7. Re: Merging fields to a Landscape Layout
                      philmodjunk

Looks ok to me.