1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 7:01 AM by philmodjunk

Message for consistency check - File not closed properly

BartCosta

Title

Message for consistency check - File not closed properly

Everytime I open a file, it does a consistency check, stating that file was closed improperly. I have always used the x in right upper corner.  I have reinstalled Filemaker Pro 11 and this did not fix the problem.  

Any suggestions? 

Windows 7 Home Premium

6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

• 1. Re: Message for consistency check - File not closed properly
          philmodjunk

Whenever you correctly close a file, FileMaker is supposed to set a "flag" on the file that indicates that it was properly closed. When you later re-open the file, FileMaker checks this flag and if it is not set, runs a consistency check to make a quick check for file damage.

Either your file is not being properly closed or it is damaged in a way that is passing the consistency check but is keeping FileMaker from setting the flag bit that controls this behavior.

I recommend that you run a recover on the file to check it for damage. And replacing it with a back up file that does not show this behavior (if you have one) would be a very good idea.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3. Recover does not detect all problems
          5. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).