12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 11:01 AM by pharmon

Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper

wfreeves328

Title

Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper

This layout has printed in the past without a problem. Now when printing with a script, I get a message that the combined size of the header and footers are too big and that I should reduce the size of them or use larger paper. I have tried setting fixed margins, but when I do it says the margins must be within 0.000 and 0.000 and then locks-up FM. Some Forum posts have referred to dotted lines showing the margins in Layout Mode, but I don't get dotted lines in Layout Mode.

I'm using FM Pro 9.0v3 with Windows 2000.

Thanks for any thoughts.

• 1. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
          philmodjunk

This error message is produced when filemaker compares the size of your header and footer and compares them to the maximum page length possible with your current printer set up. If this worked before, I'd check your printer settings. If your printer settings come up with Landscape orientation, for example, that might trigger this error message as your maximum possible page length is now a bit less than 8.5" instead of a little under 11" (If using US letter size paper).

If you are using a new printer or different printer driver, this might trigger the message also as different printers have different maximum print areas. 

• 2. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
            wfreeves328

Thanks for the response. In checking the script further, I find that the message is not actually during printing, rather it's from a Preview written into the script. The report will print correctly if one clicks through the message and continues the script. 

An occurance that may be related: the layout appears as a blank, blue field if one switches to Preview Mode or selects "Page Margins" under View in Layout Mode.

Any thoughts?

• 3. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
              philmodjunk

Preview mode triggers the same error message for exactly the same reasons.

Check the same things, but now look in your script for a print setup[no dialog; restore] step and see what it is "restoring". If there isn't any such step prior to the preview step, check your printer settings just before the script is executed. Your script may well be updating the printer settings after it previews or the settings are being changed in the print dialog when the user manually chooses print while the report is "previewed".

• 4. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
                pharmon

I am having this problem as well, but the solutions suggested in earler posts don't seem to apply.

I thought there was some corruption in my database and rebuilt portions of it. The database (FileMaker 9) works perfectly when on my desktop but when it is hosted on the FileMaker 10 server, this problem occurs consistently with one of my reports.

The report contains a portal (I know that is not best practice but haven't figured a workaround). It is the portal portion of the report that does not show in preview or print when the file is hosted on the server.

I am out of ideas and very frustrated.

• 5. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
                  philmodjunk

Does this mean you have two problems?

1) you get the error message to reduce size or use larger paper

and

2) the portal does not show?

BTW There's no reason NOT to print from a portal as long as the known limitations for portal printing don't apply to your specific layout.

• 6. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
                    pharmon

Occasionally when I log on, everything works fine.

More often, the script produces a report without the portal data both in preview and printed form without the header/footer message.

When I get the header/footer message, I go to the layout and will see a blank area. If I open print set-up and close it, the layout returns to the expected view. This has only happened when the database is hosted.

We have discovered a trick that lets the report run properly. If I go into the layout where data is entered into the portal, enter a new record into the portal, then delete it, the report script runs properly and produces the correct report.

(I saw the header/footer message in the past when I upgraded a database designed in FileMaker 5.5 to FileMaker 8 by mearly opening it in the new version. I opened the print set-up in all of the layouts and never saw the message again.)

• 7. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
                      philmodjunk

Hmmm,

I'd take the file down off the server, open it with filemaker, choose page setup and select appropriate settings. I might even print something. Then put it back up on the server. I think that'll reset the page setup information present when you first open the file as a guest over the network.

We have discovered a trick that lets the report run properly. If I go into the layout where data is entered into the portal, enter a new record into the portal, then delete it, the report script runs properly and produces the correct report.

I'd check your script for problems in terms of what layout and "portal" is current when your script executes. If you have two portals on the current layout at the start your script's execution, it's possible that script steps intended to interact with one portal are in fact interacting with a different one. The action you describe interacts with one of those portals and that might enable the script to run correctly.

If you do have more than one portal on the layout, check your script for steps like "go to portal row" that don't specify the portal and see if that might be the source of your trouble.

• 8. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
                        pharmon

I haven't solved the problem yet, but you've given me some things to consider. I appreciate your input and will persist in trying to work this out. You helped me see that I am really having 2 separate problems although they may be connected.

I noticed that the portal on the report layout does not show up in browse or preview mode but is clearly there in layout mode. There is only one portal on the layout but there are two portals on the data entry layout on which the report is based.

I think I have figured out how to create the report without using a portal and that may help.

As far as taking the file off the server, it had been off the server and worked fine. The problem arose when it went back on the server. I'll give it another go.

Could the server settings affect performance? I don't know too much about servers.

• 9. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
                          philmodjunk

The reason for taking it down off the server is to make sure any changes made by printing will "stick" and be the default option when you put it back up. A better option might be to add a print setup step in your script to specify page size and orientation before previewing.

I noticed that the portal on the report layout does not show up in browse or preview mode but is clearly there in layout mode.

That suggests that there are no matching records to display in your portal. Check the relationship and the values of the match fields. Any chance you have a global field involved? Global fields can behave differently from a hosted database and this might explain what you are seeing.

You'll need to carefully examine scripts, relationships and field defintions to track this one down.

• 10. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
                            pharmon

There are global fields in the script and relationships. The global fields might be the problem. That would explain why the portal doesn't show up in browse or preview. Is there somewhere I can read more about this?

I think you are leading me in the right direction. It is a complex report. I have a lot of digging to do. Thanks.

• 11. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
                              philmodjunk

In a network environment, each user gets their own "virtual copy" of the global fields. Whatever values are stored at the time the file was last open with filemaker (as the host) instead of being hosted on the server determines the initial values the user receives. Any changes to these values will not be seen by other users and the values will revert back to their original values when the client closes the file. You might want to temporarily place a copy of each global field involved on your layout so that you can see what values are there.

If you need to change what value is stored in the global field, take the file down off the server, open it with filemaker and then edit the value in the global field. This way, your change "sticks".

Here's a knowledge base article on global fields:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5895

• 12. Re: Message when printing of header and footer too big, reduce size or use larger paper
                                pharmon

Problem solved. It was the globals in the relationships that were creating the problem. The "trick" that allowed the script to run properly actually populated the global fields. (The opening script should have populated the globals but didn't.)

I actually was able to eliminate the globals and everything runs smoothly.

Thank you soooo much for your responses. This has been plaguing me for months.