6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 2:42 PM by Lynnabelle

Lynnabelle

Title

Hi,

I was curious to know if anyone else had experienced a Windows message informing you that Filemaker Pro 11 had stopped working and it was it was running a check to try and find the problem.

I reopened the file and searched for entries i'd recently made in the database and they were missing! I shut the file down again and reopened (it took a few tries because it kept telling me my password was wrong!) and now all seems fine.

I've not come across this before.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lynn

• 1. Re: Message: Filemaker has stopped working
          philmodjunk

Is this a file that is local to your machine or hosted over the network?

If over the network are you using FileMaker authentication or External Authentication?

Can you quote the error message word for word? I don't quite recognize the message to which you are referring. It almost sounds like the message you get when you open a file that was not correctly closed and FileMaker runs a "consistency check".

• 2. Re: Message: Filemaker has stopped working
            Lynnabelle

Hi Phil,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  When the message appeared, I was accessed remotely to the Host computer via Go To My PC.  The error message was generated by Windows as opposed to the Filmaker consistency check that runs when a file is not properly closed which is why it seemed odd.  The Filmaker message i'm familiar with - this one just said Filemaker stopped working and a green scroll bar came up while Windows ran some kind of check to find the problem then asked if I wanted to send an error report to Windows. 

• 3. Re: Message: Filemaker has stopped working
              philmodjunk

Please describe this part in detail:  I was accessed remotely to the Host computer via Go To My PC

Please forgive my ignorance but what is "Go To My PC"?

Exactly what steps do you take to "remotely access" the database file? (I fear I know why you had a problem, but need to know the details to be sure.)

• 4. Re: Message: Filemaker has stopped working
                aammondd

Go to My PC allows you to control a PC by remote. Through the web. It is a Citrix application

• 5. Re: Message: Filemaker has stopped working
                  philmodjunk

I figured it was some kind of remote desktop access. I'm only speculating but when FileMaker crashed, it may have bollixed Go to my PC and that may have in turn produced the unfamiliar crash message.

I'd definitely check that file over for possible file corruption. Even if it wasn't damaged before the crash, a file crash in itself can damage a file.

• 6. Re: Message: Filemaker has stopped working
                    Lynnabelle

Ah, that makes sense.  So Filemaker crashed itself for whatever reason which may have triggered the Windows response.  I'll definitely check the file over again for corruption.

Thanks for all your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Lynn