1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 7:11 AM by RayMentor

Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP

RayMentor

Title

Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP

Yes, I know the "export field contents" script step is not compatible with IWP (instant web publishing). Ah, that would be WAY too easy;)

The issue:  trying to enable a user to download a jpeg to his/her computer from a filemaker database record when database is deployed on the web via IWP. There are only 500+ pictures stored in container fields in this database. User can search other record he/she needs and see the picture all right. It's the download that picture to his/her computer that's got me stumped.

Searched around and haven't come up with anything so far. Ideas would be appreciated. A plug-in maybe? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
          RayMentor
             Would this require custom web publishing?
          • 2. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
            RayMentor
               Anyone got ideas on this issue?  Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
              DLW-BPEX

A stray thought, FWIW:

Can you perhaps use a Web viewer with user interaction allowed? Define the "URL" so it points to records/fields containing the images?

(Sorry if this is a dead end.) 

• 4. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
                RayMentor
                   Interesting idea. Hadn't thought of that. I can give it a whirl. I think the gotcha is the lack of support in Filemaker for a user to download an image from a FM file while it's being accessed via the web using IWP. Might require using the PHP assistant thing?  I'm not web-savvy.
                • 5. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
                  DLW-BPEX

Yes, that probably is true, since IWP deals with a rendering of the database record and not the live data.

Alternatively, though, could you place your images in a Web site folder? i.e., are they a static set of images? Or are they dynamically tied to changing information in the database?

If they could be in a Web site folder, the right-click to download operation seems to work nicely. 

• 6. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
                    RayMentor
                       Yes, they could be in a website folder. They are relatively static images of products. The image is housed in a container field now. The solution is to enable sales reps to select products and then create quotes from those selected items. Quotes would be submitted to their customers. In addition, sales reps need to be able to download a picture of a product that might be used by a customer to print an ad. That's the kicker. Downloading a jpeg. I suppose I could be a URL into a FM record that would then link the user to the area of the website where that particular image is stored. Then, from within their browser, they could right click it and download as you suggest.
                    • 7. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
                      DLW-BPEX

With some clever scripting and consistent naming of JPEG files between FM records and Website folder, I think it would work then (except the user would not right-click in the browser, but in the Web viewer -- which probably is what you meant).

A downside is that, if you need the images to be also in the FM database for some reason, you would have to maintain corresponding libraries of images in both places.

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks here can offer better insight or more elegant possibilities(?).

• 8. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
                        RayMentor
                           Thanks for the most helpful dialogue. Yes, it's a tricky little beast. Hoping TSGal or one of the other more experienced developers could comment as well.
                        • 9. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
                          TSGal

All:

Thank you for your posts and ideas.

As you surmised, Instant Web Publishing takes information from FileMaker Pro and displays it in the browser.  If the image is stored either in the file or referenced from the Web folder, then the image will be displayed, and it can be saved by using right-click/control-click and save the image to the local drive.  You could also use a web viewer to view the file, but if the image is already stored in the file, why change it?

One possible solution is to put text on the layout instructing users how to save the file.  Or, you could make the Container field a button that switches you to another layout with instructions to save the image.

If you need further clarification, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
                            RayMentor

As you surmised, Instant Web Publishing takes information from FileMaker Pro and displays it in the browser.  If the image is stored either in the file or referenced from the Web folder, then the image will be displayed, and it can be saved by using right-click/control-click and save the image to the local drive.  

I'm confused by your suggestion. The images are now stored in the FM database file, not as referenced items. However, the file, deployed via IWP, does not allow the right-click method you mention when the user is accessing it via a browser. Is there some configuration issue I'm missing here? You seem to be saying a user CAN right-click and get the image. That's what I've been trying to do.

I've also been made aware of SuperContainer by 360software. This FM plugin can do what I'm trying to accomplish albeit at a higher dollar cost. It seems to be a very versatile plug-in. 

• 11. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
                              TSGal

RayMentor:

Yes, you should be able to right-click/control-click and save the image with Instant Web Publishing.  Just to double-check this wasn't platform dependent, I tried this with Safari and Firefox on Mac OS X 10.5.8, accessing a database file hosted on a Windows XP machine, and then switching it around.  That is, with Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer on Windows XP while accessing a database file hosted on Mac OS X 10.5.8.

What browser and version are you using?  Machines?  I will try to duplicate the same scenario here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
                                RayMentor

Still perplexed by your insistence that a "right-click can save the image" from a FM container field in a DB being accessed from a browser. All I get is "Print Frame, etc.". I've tried this with Safari 4.0.4 in Mac OSX 10.6.2 and also from a Windows XP PC using IE.  360software, developer of Supercontainer, maintains that they is why they developed the plug-in. That is, FM couldn't do the download the jpeg dance in IWP with the plug-in.

Most curious to nail this issue down.  Thanks for your follow-up. 

• 13. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
                                  TSGal

RayMentor:

Sorry for the late reply.

I am trying a number of things here, but the result is the same.  On Mac OS X 10.5.8, I share a file via Instant Web Publishing.  On a Mac running Mac OS 10.6.2 and Safari 4.0.3, I am able to access the file and display a Container field.  I am then able to right-click/control-click the Container field, and I get the option to Save Image, Copy Image, etc.

On my Windows XP SP3 computer running Internet Explorer 8, I can access the file, right-click on the Container field and I get the options Save Picture As..., E-mail Picture..., Print Picture..., and Copy (along with other options).

The JPEGs are stored in the database and being referenced in the Web folder.

I'm not sure what else to try here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: Method for Exporting jpeg from Filemaker File Hosted via IWP
                                    RayMentor

Thanks for your reply. I believe you're getting what you're reporting. All I can say is I'm not getting that on my setup which duplicates exactly the setup you describe. We've made a significant investment in SuperContainer from 360software since the earlier messages in this thread. They insist that SuperContainer is required to provide the functionality you describe. It is, after all, a plug-in that is listed on the Filemaker website. I'd like to get a definitive answer about this. Seems like the only way for that to happen is if you contact them directly and discuss. 

Ray 

1 2 Previous Next