4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 10:46 PM by GaryMawby

Microsoft Works

GaryMawby

Title

Microsoft Works

I work on a Mac and am using Filemaker Pro v11

If I create a database with Filemaker Pro v11 will someone using Microsoft Works be able to somehow convert what I have created into a working version of the database in Microsoft Works? It's not a complicated database. Just a few fields with names and one container field holding images.

• 1. Re: Microsoft Works
          philmodjunk

If it's a single table database, you can export the data as tab or csv and the works user can then import the data into works. Calculaiton fields will import as data, not a calculation and none of your layouts will exist in works, just the data.

• 2. Re: Microsoft Works
            GaryMawby

Thanks! It was easier just to have them purchase Filemaker Pro for Windows and now they can see my Mac versions on their PC exactly the way I do on the Mac which is what I needed to ensure

• 3. Re: Microsoft Works
              philmodjunk

Careful, there are a few Mac to Windows differences. The immediately obvious one is that windows systems require more horizontal and vertical space to display the same text. You may find a few cases where the layouts need small adjustments to elminate unexpected clipping or wrapping.

• 4. Re: Microsoft Works
                GaryMawby

Thanks! We have noticed some of those field formatting issues already for sure. At first, we weren't sure why some of the field names on the PC side were clipping and then realized the fields did need to be resized a bit. Certainly annoying but the core functiionality, etc. all seems to work without incident and we are grateful for that since we can collaberate on design and content without too much hassle.