4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2014 11:57 PM by Markus Schneider

Migrate files from Appleworks 6 to FM pro 12

LoisCain

Title

Migrate files from Appleworks 6 to FM pro 12

I have a lot of old but critical database files in Appleworks 6 that I want to migrate to FM Pro 12. Does anyone know how to do that? The oldest of these files were originally created in MS Works but migrated simply by creating a new database in Appleworks with the same fields in the same order as the original MS Works files. Then it took some experimenting to find a format that would be read by both programs for the export/import but once that was determined the whole process went smoothly. Suggestions welcome!! Mahalo, Lois

• 1. Re: Migrate files from Appleworks 6 to FM pro 12
          RickWhitelaw

I don't think there's a way to migrate from AppleWorks. One stumbling block would be finding a machine that could run both AW and FMP 12. There is no such machine. If AW is capable of exporting the data in a format that can be imported by FMP then you may be able to design a db in FMP and import the data.

• 2. Re: Migrate files from Appleworks 6 to FM pro 12
            FentonJones

I can still run AppleWorks 6, with OS 10.6.8. There is an option in Save As… to use ASCII Text, with produces tabbed text. I don't know about what happens if you have other fancy stuff in the data.

• 3. Re: Migrate files from Appleworks 6 to FM pro 12
              philmodjunk

Tabbed text will work. You can export to tabbed text and then import this data as a tab file Into fileMaker. What you do with the data once you pull it into FileMaker will be up to you.

• 4. Re: Migrate files from Appleworks 6 to FM pro 12
                Markus Schneider

Years ago, I migrated a DB created in MS Works (on a Macintosh SE/Classic) from AppleWorks (long before the 'new' AppleWorks...) to FileMaker Pro 2 (-:

I ended up in re-writing, but the data could be easily transferred via textfiles (tab delimitted AFAIK) into the new DB. I did quite some 'readings' to get familiar with FileMaker - but I was very happy and I could do a lot more with the data!

AppleWorks and AppleWorks6 was not that bad! One thing You'll miss will be the TextEditor. FileMaker doesn't have a text-system (compared to AW, 4D, RagTime et all). But in every other aspect You'll be happy - after the migration

As a start: Drag the exported data (-file) on the FileMaker icon. If the format is fine, FileMaker will create a vanilla db with Your data