9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 12:11 PM by philmodjunk

Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to...

tohaveandtobe

Title

Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to any libraries

Dear Filemaker Forum,

I have just used the Bento Migration software to transfer all data into Filemaker Pro 13.

All of my records from Bento are intact .  However, my Bento "Collections" are now Filemaker "Layouts" that do not seem to function like Bento Collections did.   I see in the Bento Migration Tool User's Guide that "collections migrate as stand-alone tables in Filemaker Pro.  They are not linked to any libraries."  I called customer service and they promised me that Filemaker Pro would have an equivalent function and directed me to this forum for help, so I am in your expert hands. 

This database is for an artist, and I need to be able to create collections of records that can be updated easily.  For example, if we are considering a selection of works for a client I need to be able to put records in a folder - without moving the original record.  In Bento I could edit a record in any location and the "master" record in the library would also update.  I don't see how to move a record between layouts, and in moving them I would need the original to stay in the master "Library" (as it's called in Bento).   If it helps, I don't mind deleting all of the layouts (Bento collections) these can mostly be remade as long as I can get Filemaker to function in this way.

Thanks for any help.  I have not been able to find another forum post on this but I'm sure that there are many more frustrated Bento users who have this issue.

Thank you!!!!!!

Cindy

• 1. Re: Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to...
          philmodjunk

Open Manage | database | Tables

Do you find tables that correspond to the layouts?

In FileMaker, you have tables, table occurrences and layouts. They often have exactly the same name, but are not the same thing.

When you create a new table, FileMaker automatically creates a corresponding "box" (Table occurrence) on the Relationships tab and a layout based on that new table occurrence. The new table occurrence and layout will be given exactly the same name as the new table.

So it is very possible that the migration tool created a series of new tables, table occurrences and layouts from the original "collections".

But I haven't used a Mac in years and never used Bento. So you'll need to explain what a Bento "collection" is and how you need it to function before we can come up with a way to link them into your other tables in relationships.

Brace yourself. FileMaker is a much more powerful system than Bento, but that power comes at the price of being a much more complex system to work with. You'll need to invest in some training materials and time before you can get fully up to speed in how to get things to work for you in FileMaker.

• 2. Re: Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to...
            tohaveandtobe

Hi PhilModJunk,

I'm sending here some screenshots of what our Filemaker Bento database looks like and what the Filemaker Pro 13 database looks like after using the Bento Migration tool. 

This is how the Bento User Guide defines a collection:

A collection is a set of records from a library. You can create a collection to:

Create a set of records for a special purpose. For example, you could create a collection of the people invited to a specific event.

Sort records in a different order. For example, you could create a collection of contacts to sort the contact records by last name.

Export the data from the records in the collection rather than from all the records in the library.

A collection in Bento is similar to a playlist in iTunes. If you have used iTunes, you know how convenient it is to use a playlist to create a compilation of songs and videos.

Collections in Bento give you the same convenience for grouping records from a library.

A collection contains records from a single library. For example, you can put records from the Address Book library in an Address Book collection such as Vendors. You cannot put any other library’s records in the Vendors collection.

However, a record from a library can be added to any of the collections within the same library. For example, if you have a “DVD” library with a “Favorites” collection and a “Classic Movies” collection, you can have the same record in both collections.

You create collections by using the New Collection menu item, by selecting records and using the New Collection from Selection menu item, or by dragging selected records to an existing collection or to the Libraries pane.

I understand that Filemaker Pro is more complex than Filemaker Bento but there must be many people who have this same issue (maybe there is a forum on this already but I can't find one), I don't see a comprehensive manual for transitioning from Bento to Filemaker but I did read the Filemaker Training Basics manual which was not helpful.

Thanks so much for your help.

Cindy

• 3. Re: Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to...
              philmodjunk

I will repeat from my last post: What tables do you find for these collections in your file?

Open Manage | database | Tables and see what you find.

This is a part of FileMaker where how you interact with your layout is quite different in FileMaker. There's a good chance that you'll have to replace a great deal of what you have here for working with a collection with something quite different in FileMaker. That's probably why the migration tool just generates a series of (I am still assuming this), individual tables for the collections and does nothing more.

I will also point out that the help article that you pasted here mentions a number of different ways to use a collection. We need to be more specific here. I suggest focusing on one collection, describing how you used it in Bento as well as showing us what is present in terms of a table and fields for this data in the Filemaker file. If we can walk you through setting up this part of your system, there's a good chance that you can take that experience and apply it to incorporating the other collections into your database solution on your own.

• 4. Re: Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to...
                tohaveandtobe

Hi PhilModJunk,

Please find here a screenshot for the tables under "manage database."  The first table is our library from Bento and the others are all collections from Bento. 

We used Bento collections in two ways

1) As a shortcut for frequently searched items - for example all of the database results for a decade, "1960s" or an art genre like "sculpture."  These search results did not update automatically, I would periodically perform these searches and then drag them into a collection. 

2) To make a selection of works, for example if we are planning an art exhibition we would drag records of individual artworks into a collection so that we would have these together in a folder.

*Deleting a record in a collection did not delete the record in the library.

*Any updates/data entry done to a record in a collection would be reflected in the library.

Is this clear?  Thanks!

Cindy

• 5. Re: Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to...
                  philmodjunk

1) FileMaker can do better than that. For one thing, you can set up something for this and never have to update it again like you did in Bento. The first step is to understand how to manually find such records in your database. Once you can do that, we can look at a number of ways to automate this process in FileMaker using a script.

Take a look at the data in "Gary Kuehn". I would predict that there is a field that, when you look at it for a given record, it tells you what decade that record should be a member of.

What kind of field and what kind of data do you have in this field?

This might be a text field with text such as "Sixties" that names the decade, or it might be a date field where you are looking for a date where the year is in the range from 1960 to 1969. It might be data that takes some other form. Let me know what you have that identifies the decade for a record and I can first show you how to easily find all records from the same decade and then also discuss ways to automate the process so that all you need do is click a button or select a decade name from a value list.

2) In FileMaker, we'd usually consider this to just be a found set of records something that is very easily pulled up, printed, exported etc without the need for a special "collections" table to manage. On the other hand, there are ways to pull up such a found set and then "save" a list of the ID's for that found set for later use. That would require a table and a relationship, but it also would be quite different from your current "collections" table.

• 6. Re: Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to...
                    tohaveandtobe

Thanks so much for your reply, this sounds great. 

Yes, there are date fields and there are also decade fields in our database.  The date filed is a number field, and the decade field is a text field with a pop up menu.

It sounds like this would be a great solution for us to browse by decade or genre (drawing, painting, sculpture, etc.).  Can you let us know how to start this?

Would this solution also work in the event that we wanted to group unrelated records?  What I mean is when we want to make a collection of works that don't necessarily have any data in common that we would like to put in a group together, like when we select records of works for exhibitions.

Thanks!

Cindy

• 7. Re: Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to...
                      philmodjunk

First the baby steps:

Enter find mode. This is an option in the View menu, there's a keyboard short cut for it, a button in the status tool bar and a small menu in the bottom left corner of your window that all can be used to enter find mode.

Then select a decade from your pop up menu field of decade names.

Select Perform Find--a button in the status tool bar or an option in the Requests menu.

You have just performed your find and you should have a found set of all records labeled with that decade name.

You can use the book control on a form view layout to click through your records or view multiple records on the layout at once using either table view or list view. (List view requires a layout design intended for list view where the body is a narrow row of fields.)

There are many options for how you can perform a find so it's a good idea to read up on this in help, experiment and consult any training materials on FileMaker that you have access to.

To get a set of records for a decade, that may be all that you need to do. To get other found sets of records, you'd specify other search criteria and there are options such as "constrain found set" and "extend found set" that can be used to help produce a set of "unrelated records".

• 8. Re: Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to...
                        tohaveandtobe

Yes, I have no problem using the find options to locate works for a particular decade, but is there a way to make a tab or folder that is a shortcut to the search results like in Bento?  Thanks

• 9. Re: Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to...
                          philmodjunk

There are so many different directions that we can take from here...

Each panel of your tab control can contain a portal that lists all the records to be shown for that decade. This can be a list that only and always matches by decade, or there are ways to add controls that can filter down that list to a smaller set from the same decade that meet additional criteria...

Or you can simulate tab panels with your layout design where the tab panels are buttons that perform scripts to find records and change to the layout appropriate for the tab selected in order to create the illusion that you changed tab panels.

And you can set up a related table in order to assign works to different groups as a way to build a collection. This can be system that limits works to only a single group at a time or a "many to many" set up where the same work can be a member of multiple groups. (And there are many ways that you can choose from in terms of how you select a group to view or in how you assign works to a particular group...