AnsweredAssumed Answered

Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to...

Question asked by tohaveandtobe on Apr 10, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 17, 2015 by philmodjunk

Title

Migrating from Bento - Collections migrate as stand alone tables in filemaker - they do not link to any libraries

Dear Filemaker Forum,

I have just used the Bento Migration software to transfer all data into Filemaker Pro 13.

All of my records from Bento are intact .  However, my Bento "Collections" are now Filemaker "Layouts" that do not seem to function like Bento Collections did.   I see in the Bento Migration Tool User's Guide that "collections migrate as stand-alone tables in Filemaker Pro.  They are not linked to any libraries."  I called customer service and they promised me that Filemaker Pro would have an equivalent function and directed me to this forum for help, so I am in your expert hands. 

This database is for an artist, and I need to be able to create collections of records that can be updated easily.  For example, if we are considering a selection of works for a client I need to be able to put records in a folder - without moving the original record.  In Bento I could edit a record in any location and the "master" record in the library would also update.  I don't see how to move a record between layouts, and in moving them I would need the original to stay in the master "Library" (as it's called in Bento).   If it helps, I don't mind deleting all of the layouts (Bento collections) these can mostly be remade as long as I can get Filemaker to function in this way.

Thanks for any help.  I have not been able to find another forum post on this but I'm sure that there are many more frustrated Bento users who have this issue.

Thank you!!!!!!

Cindy

Outcomes