5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 3:08 PM by philmodjunk

Migrating from Bento 3 to FileMaker Pro 11 (PART TWO)

AllanHilder

Title

Migrating from Bento 3 to FileMaker Pro 11 (PART TWO)

Perhaps it would help if I explain exactly what I am trying to do...

In a container field I have an image (of a house). Once someone expresses an interest in a property I need to be able to show a number of other images of that property. This could be done by double clicking a folder name or by opening a KeyNote presentation. I am open to any solution, so long as it works on both Mac and iPad.

Thanks again...

• 1. Re: Migrating from Bento 3 to FileMaker Pro 11 (PART TWO)
          philmodjunk

You can store the images in container fields. Since you need it to work with iPad, don't store the images as references, store the actual pictures.

You can set up a related image table so that you can link any number of pictures to a given property record in a properties table.

This way, you can have one record for each listed property in the Properties table and link it to 1, 2, 10, 200 images of the property that are stored in the images table.

• 2. Re: Migrating from Bento 3 to FileMaker Pro 11 (PART TWO)
            AllanHilder

Thanks for this PhilModJunk,

I think I understand it. I create a separate images table using the same property reference numbers as in the properties table. Each record in the images table will contain a number of photos, each in a separate container field. How then do I call up these images when a client expresses an interest in seeing more than the solitary photo in the properties table?

Your help is much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Migrating from Bento 3 to FileMaker Pro 11 (PART TWO)
              philmodjunk

I'd suggest using an auto-entered serial number field in Properties to link to your images table. If you incorrectly enter the property reference number, add some photos in the related table and then spot and correct your mistake, your photos will seem to disappear as they will still be linked to the original, incorrect number.

You have two options for displaying the photos and they aren't mutually exclusive. Look at both and experiment with them to get a feel for what combination will work best for you:

1. Use a portal to display and insert your list of related photos. Portals are fairly well documented in FileMaker help so read up on them, try them out and feel free to post back here if you have questions about them.
              2. Use a scripted button that uses Go To Related Records to display just one photo or all the related photos. This script step has many options and can pop the photo or photos up in a new window if you want and can be especially useful when performed from a portal to the same related records.

For more on Go To Related Records, see this thread--just don't worry to much about the warnings in it. If all you are going to do is pull up related records for viewing, those dangers don't really apply.

The Complete Go To Related Record

• 4. Re: Migrating from Bento 3 to FileMaker Pro 11 (PART TWO)
                AllanHilder

The portal solution worked well and was easy to achieve.

The only problem I experienced was when I used it with tabs. For some strange reason a layout that looked perfectly fine in both Layout and Browse went out of focus, "bent" inwards and corrupted visually (but not actually), repeating endlessly both fields and header, when I scrolled down in Layout. Really weird. Worried that the file was permanently corrupted, I loaded the records into a clone I had created earlier before trying the portal solution. It works fine, so all's well that ends well, I guess.

Thanks again for the advice.

• 5. Re: Migrating from Bento 3 to FileMaker Pro 11 (PART TWO)
                  philmodjunk

This might be what happened:

Make sure that your Tab control neither crosses into the header part nor touches the boundary line between header and body.