7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 9:33 AM by philmodjunk

Minor Problems

NickLawrence

Title

Minor Problems

Hi all (Phil) smiley

FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v4 

I have a couple of minor irritations which I just can't seem to figure out, things were working before but now seem to now want to play ball:

1). The first problem is when I try to create a new relationship between existing tables (that have other relationships set up) I get the following message "There cannot be more than one relational path between any two tables in the graph. Another occurrence of one of the tables must be added to the graph." Which is a bit strange as I've done exactly the same for a different pair of tables without any problems, I even have tables with 3 links, so not sure why I can't do it now?

2). Problem 2 is also a bit strange, I have a portal setup which has auto enter fields based on 2 letter key that is entered in to one of the fields, for some reason one of the keys (PM) doesn't work, I've tried everything deleting it from the corresponding database and re-entering but nothing I do will get that particular pair of letters to return a result. for clarity I'll try to explain the field functions below:

Field one of database 1 is a drop down list that gets its data from field 1 of database 2 depending on what is entered in to field 1, field 2 is then auto-entered as a lookup of field 2 in database 2.

However, when this particular one is chosen from the drop down list, it returns no result in to field 2 all the other ones in the list work fine and if I create a new record in database 2 this works fine too, but if I delete PM from database 2 and re-enter it, it still won't work.

Clear as mud I'm sure, but I would be grateful if someone could point out to me what I am doing wrong.

Many thanks.

Nick

• 1. Re: Minor Problems
          philmodjunk

1) Look for a "cycle" in the chain of relationships thus created. FileMaker cannot allow you to define relationships such that there is more than one "path" from Table Occurrence A, to B, to C, to D.... This should not, however keep you from defining the relationships you need as you can add a new Occurrence of one of the tables in such a table occurrence group to get the relationship you need without creating such a "cycle" or "loop" in the chain of relationships.

2) Your description lacks the key details that might explain why it isn't working for you. Can you be more specific?

• 2. Re: Minor Problems
            NickLawrence

Hi Phil,

What additional information do you need? And I can supply it.

Thanks

Nick

• 3. Re: Minor Problems
              FilmUser

I have run into this also (no doubt many have) and have solved it with an additional TO, as Phil suggests. However, when adding the additional TO, I sometimes have to trial and error which table to duplicate before it works - is there a rule of thumb on which one to make the new TO of, such as which is the "many" side or which is the "one" side?

• 4. Re: Minor Problems
                philmodjunk

I have a portal setup

What is the relationship? Is the portal filtered?

which has auto enter fields based on 2 letter key that is entered in to one of the fields,

Exactly what auto-enter field options have you set up?

or some reason one of the keys (PM) doesn't work,

I would guess from your description that you enter or select a two letter value and nothing appears in the field that should auto-enter a value. Is that correct? Are you manually entering this text or selecting a value from a value list? If using a value list? Exactly how did you set up that value list?

As I review this, the first thing that I'd check is the record with the data that isn't appearing in the auto-enter field(s). I would check to see if the text in the Match field exactly matches the value you are entering in the match field of the related table. The presence of a space or punctuation character might result in a value that looks like it should match, but doesn't.

• 5. Re: Minor Problems
                  philmodjunk

is there a rule of thumb on which one to make the new TO of, such as which is the "many" side or which is the "one" side?

It's a matter of "context"--a topic that might possibly be the topic for Adventures in FileMaking #4. Some part of your database design is specifying a context, a starting point, from which you need to access data in a related table. That context might be the context you select from a drop down at the top of Specify Calculation in a calculation field, the "Show records from" context you select in Layout Setup (0r in the New layout wizard) or it could be the "Show related records from" context specified in portal set up for a portal.

In general, the TO that you want to duplicate would be a related TO that you link to the TO you've selected as your context for what you are trying to do. Example:  If you are trying to add a portal to your layout and need to define a relationship before you can add that portal. You'd duplicate the TO for the portal and not the layout. If you were to duplicate the TO for the layout, you'd have to update first the "show records from" setting in layout setup and then probably every field on the layout to refer to either the new TO or a TO linked to it. In similar fashion, if you want to add a field to the portal row from another table and need to define a relationship to do that, you'd duplicate the TO for that other table not the portal as you'd have to do a similar update for your portal.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 6. Re: Minor Problems
                    NickLawrence

I'm not vague with my questions purposefully, I just don't know what information to include and do think I put down all the relevant in formation, so I will try to give you all you need:

What is the relationship? It is just between two Tables, I don't actually know what more to say than what I already have, it's very basic, Table A has field 1 as does Table B and the relationship is between the contents of these 2 fields allowing me to setup look ups for other fields in the Tables;

Is the portal filtered? I'm going with no as the check box is not checked in properties;

Exactly what auto-enter field options have you set up? My apologies, using auto-enter was probably misleading, it is just a simple look up, if Field 1 in Table A is X and Field 1 in Table B is X then Field 2 of Table B is populated with the contents of Field 2 in Table A;

I would guess from your description that you enter or select a two letter value and nothing appears in the field that should auto-enter a value. Is that correct? Yes, it is more a look up than an auto enter;

Are you manually entering this text or selecting a value from a value list? Using a value list;

If using a value list? Exactly how did you set up that value list? The value list gets the details from a field in another table (Table A)

As I review this, the first thing that I'd check is the record with the data that isn't appearing in the auto-enter field(s). I would check to see if the text in the Match field exactly matches the value you are entering in the match field of the related table. The presence of a space or punctuation character might result in a value that looks like it should match, but doesn't. Checked and double checked, even copied and pasted to ensure that the contents matched exactly, still no luck;

I can reproduce the problem by deleting a record in Table A and re-entering the details in a new record, even though the 2 letter code matches it will not pull the data in to Field 2, but I don't know how to correct it?

Thanks for all your help Phil.

Regards

Nick

• 7. Re: Minor Problems
                      philmodjunk

It is just between two Tables

But how you set up the match fields and operator can differ and those details can matter in some cases. From what you have said, I am assuming that you have Table A::Field1 = Table B::Field1. But I am assuming this in the absence of any indication that you set up something different. Please note that actually naming the fields and tables involved makes communication easier, the "alphabet soup" used in place of the names can sometimes hinder communication.

it is just a simple look up

But that "simple look up" could be a) a looked up value field option b) an auto-enter calculation or c) you just added the field from the related table occurrence to your layout or portal row. All those options might be described as a "simple look up" be different people.

it is more a look up than an auto enter;

I find that statement confusing. A looked up value field option IS an auto-enter setting.

The value list gets the details from a field in another table (Table A)

And there is more than one way that you might set that value list up to list value from Table A. Can you upload a screen shot of the dialog that opens when you select the "use values from field" option so that I can see what options have been selected in that dialog?

I can reproduce the problem by deleting a record in Table A and re-entering the details in a new record, even though the 2 letter code matches it will not pull the data in to Field 2, but I don't know how to correct it?

And this is only for a specific value where other values work to pull data from other Table B records? Or will this fail to pull in data no matter what matching value is selected from the value list?