7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2010 3:17 PM by philmodjunk

    Missing Fields on Import



      Missing Fields on Import


      We have a large amount of information that is currently hosted in WinAudit that I'm trying to convert to FileMaker (because filemaker is so much easier to work with).  At it's base I'm trying to import the information from that database to Filemaker Pro 11.3, and to recreate the tables and views present there, but I keep getting stuck when trying to import.

      When I try to import the data the only fields that actually show up in Filemaker are the ones containing numeric data. Every other field shows up as blank. It also seems to be disregarding the first record, which contains the names of the fields, even when "ignore first record" is disabled.

      I've tried importing as XML files, as Access databases, and as xls/x files, but none of these get past the initial issue of all the text values being ignored by filemaker, and me having to rename all the fields each time I want to import (I presume I can add to the table, but actually replacing the data or deleting all records doesn't seem to be working).


      So I guess I have two issues.

      1) I can't get text values to import to Filemaker Pro 11.3.

      2) I can't get the field titles to be recognized by Filemaker.

      Does anyone have some suggestions for what I can do to fix this?

        • 1. Re: Missing Fields on Import

          Can you export the data from WinAudit, can you export it as either a tab or csv type text file?

          Can you import from that file type?

          If you still see the same issue, open the exported text file with NotePad or WordPad and see if the data was exported or not.

          You can make the same check with an export to xlsx files by opening the file with MS Excel to see if the data was ever exported.

          • 2. Re: Missing Fields on Import

            It isn't possible to export the data from winaudit as either a tab or csv file.

            As mentioned in the OP, the data is exporting just fine. Once I've exported to an access database, XML, or excel file, the data is there in the exported file, Filemaker just isn't acknowledging any of the text data.

            • 3. Re: Missing Fields on Import

              If FileMaker isn't importing text, it didn't "export just fine". A text based export would have been a way to cross check how the data is exporting.

              What is the structure and format of the text data when you export to excel? (What does it look like when you use Excel to open the file generated by the export?)

              • 4. Re: Missing Fields on Import

                The text data when exported to excel has no special formatting. It's just listed as text. When I check the cell properties the cells are all formatted the same. The only exception to that is the very first entry which is bold and has a background color.

                • 5. Re: Missing Fields on Import

                  But what is the structure?

                  Do you see one row per record with each column containing the data you expect to import into separate fields of that record?

                  Keep in mind that I can't see what you see, but do know that importing data from Excel into Filemaker doesn't generally have this issue so I'm looking to see what's different about this data that might be a factor.

                  • 6. Re: Missing Fields on Import

                    Yes, it's turning up as one record per row, with each column containing the appropriate data for the field it represents.

                    • 7. Re: Missing Fields on Import

                      Can you upload a copy of that Excel file to a share site and post a download link here?

                      I realize the data may be sensitive. But I'd like to see that file to see if there are any issues with it. You wouldn't have to upload the whole file, just a copy with a few rows of data in it.

                      Here's what I did just as a test:

                      I created an excel spreadsheet and typed in data, text in some columns numbers in other.

                      I then imported the data into excel specifying the new table option so that this created a new table. The columns filled fields named f1, f2, f3... since I didn't type column headings into the spread sheet.

                      The numbers and text both imported without incident and the number fields thus created were of type number while the text fields were of type text.

                      I then deleted all the records and imported all the data without using the new table option. Once again I got all the numbers and text to import as I would expect.